sump pumps and skimmers

jweed9379

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i picked up a 75 gal aquarium with a canopy, light setup, and stand for 75 dollars...i already have my 65 gal up and running but i want to convert it to a sump to get away fron the canister filter...so my question is what are yalls favorite pumps for a sump as well as protien skimmers...and what sizes should i go with for my two tanks?

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brands of pumps and skimmers are up to you. I would recommend having return pumps bigger than what you need (in terms of gph) and dialing them down via ball/gate valves. Skimmer choice would be also based on how much room you'll dedicate to that part of the sump. Again, get a skimmer rated higher than your total water volume.

OP
OP
J

jweed9379

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well im asking because ive never had a sump before so i need help as far as what sizes and brands

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size sumps were you planning to use with your two tanks? Are you planning to have SPS, LPS, softies or a mix? Are your tanks drilled?

OP
OP
J

jweed9379

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 65 is not drilled and im gonna do a 20 gal long for that one with a fuge because im putting a green mandarin and a red mandarin in it so i need a safe house for copepods...i was planning on using pumps between 250 and 300gph for them, my 75 gal i have to pick it up next week from the person i purchased it from. The stand is built to house a sump. What do you mean by drilled? And they are not reef ready yet because i dont have overflows setup yet...and i will have a mix, im picking up an rbta from a friend and plan on some zoa colonies but as far as the rest of the corals etc. I havnt decided...and the 75 gal is gonna be a predatory tank

Back