GFO and GAC

JAWS 32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
i am currently running a dual reactor w/ GFO ( granulated ferric oxide)and GAC ( granulated activated carbon)... i am just contemplating wether i am going to continue doing so... my tank has been up for a little over 4 years and i have been running the reactor for the last 3... i have slipped a couple of times on the proper switching out of both, the GAC and GFO, and have noticed no real change in the tank... i, by no means have a pristine, algae free tank, but i do not mind the algae that i have.. my mandarin loves to hunt on the rocks where it is because from what i have been observing, copepods in my DT are thriving in it... plus my tuxedo urchin ( which i can't believe i forgot to mention in my tank description)!), ring cowrys and starry blenny like it too...

I am just looking to hear what other people are doing in regards to running GAC and GFO
thanks!!

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't run GAC, haven't in a very long time, and I don't run GFO, I use SeaKlear Phosphate remover for that, and I dose only what I need.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run phosguard and GAC in media bags in my sump. I'm getting a little more hair algae growth in my DT which cues me to replace the phosguard and do a water change :) IME, if I find things that are working for my needs - I keep doing them. I would say if you like the results that you've had with the methods you've used, why not continue?

OP
OP
JAWS 32

JAWS 32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! fishroomlady, do you have the media bags in a reactor or do you just have them where water is flowing on to them?
reefing madness, do you dose when you see a lot of algae growth? sorry for the extra questions! and I appreciate your input!! :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back