60 gal Marineland cube overflow question.

boxer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My overflow breaks its syphon every once in a while randomly. I just was curious if anyone else has had this happen and what you did to fix it. Its the over flow with a down turned 1" 90 with an air tube in the 90. The bulkhead runs out the back of the tank and then turns down again to the sump.

Thanks,
James

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your return swamping the air tube? I found this design to be garbage. I needed to block the bottom vents to ensure surface water would overflow and anything over about 300 gph was too much for the undersized 1" intake.

OP
OP
B

boxer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your return swamping the air tube? I found this design to be garbage. I needed to block the bottom vents to ensure surface water would overflow and anything over about 300 gph was too much for the undersized 1" intake.
I haven't been able to actually see it when it happens. The waterline in the overflow is on the center line of the 90. I'm thinking the same as you. I have almost 700 GPH. And I'm thinking it periodically over runs the drain. What did you do to fix the issue?

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sent a nasty letter to the engineers at mainland and T'eed off my return to reduce and control the flow.

natalie.ohare27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your power ever go out? Even just a short power outage can cause your sump to stop pulling from your overflow box when the return pump shuts off. How low does your over flow box sit? If it too low and your syphon is short or your low on water it might suckered in aor

natalie.ohare27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add an ups large back up battery you plug into the wall that holds a few hours charge and is triggered when there is a power outage and much quite than a generator. My uncle had that problem loving in the boonies

Preyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My overflow used to periodically break siphon. I tapped a hole in the siphon tube with a 1/4" drill bit and siliconed in some air line. I hooked the air line to an aqua-lifter pump and snaked the aqua-lifter return back into the overflow box. This ensures that the overflow siphon is always primed.

OP
OP
B

boxer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your power ever go out? Even just a short power outage can cause your sump to stop pulling from your overflow box when the return pump shuts off. How low does your over flow box sit? If it too low and your syphon is short or your low on water it might suckered in aor
not a power outage problem but thanks for the info.

My overflow used to periodically break siphon. I tapped a hole in the siphon tube with a 1/4" drill bit and siliconed in some air line. I hooked the air line to an aqua-lifter pump and snaked the aqua-lifter return back into the overflow box. This ensures that the overflow siphon is always primed.
Thanks for the reply I'm deff going to try to drill a bigger hole and see if that works also adding a aqua lift after the the hole is drilled an the problem continues.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back