Requesting updated info for T5 lighting

rollo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings to all,

So far R2R has been a wonderful source of information for me, a beginning reefer. I feel it has allowed me to make good choices regarding all my equipment needs. I recently decided to go with T5 lighting for my 65g tank. I took a look at the lighting sticky and found that most of the posts are from 2009 or so. As with most things, I know there are now newer bulbs out there, better set-ups, etc. I would love to hear what is working for those who are using T5 lighting and the kind of bulbs you find best suits your reef setup. Thank you in advance for your thoughts and any information that you can share.

Rollo Tomasi

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using T5 two bulb. One white and one blue. I also have 4 blue moonlight LEDs from Rapid LED I just got in the mail the other day and am externally happy with. My tank is the basic 29 gal with an 7gal sump.

I hear some good things about the LED's and then I hear how people say they wish they never left the T5's because the growth is so much better... I am mixed on which way I want to go or should stay in the future of my tank.

OP
OP
R

rollo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After all my reading, I feel the same about the LED systems. I think they do work, but it seems much is still being worked out on the type of LEDs, amount of UVs, reds, whites, blues, etc. Also I am reading much discussion on the angle of light emitted by the LEDs. Someday I know LEDs will be the standard and I think that will be a good thing what with the energy consumption vs other lighting systems, but for now, since I am just starting out, I want to stick to something that has a known track record for getting the job done. There are just so many different type of bulbs out there. I need to figure out how many I will need for a 48" long tank and what kind will work best.

McAllyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several variables that will determine what you need, but for an overall guideline, I'd go 4 bulb for a 12" wide tank, 6 bulb for 18" tank, and 8 bulb for 24" tank.

I'm pretty well stuck on ATI bulbs, tried a couple others, but really like the colour of the ATIs.

4 bulb = (3) ATI Blue+ (1) Coral+
6 bulb = (4) ATI Blue+ (1) Coral+ (1) Purple+
8 bulb = (5) ATI Blue+ (1) Coral+ (1) Purple+ (1) Actinic

These are the combinations I've used. I prefer a bluer spectrum. If you want to add white, go ATI Aquablue Special.

Mac

fungia_fiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an ATI 6x39w sunpower with all ati bulbs. 4 Blue+, 1 Coral+, 1 Purple+

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After struggling to make my leds work for me, I gave up and installed a 6x54 dimable ati sunpower over my 75 gal display. Bulbs are:

Blue+
Blue+
Coral+
Coral+
Blue+
Blue+

Fixture he's been on for roughly 3 weeks. In that time, and this is pretty amazing and eye opening to me, my alk and calcium demand has DOUBLED. I am more and more sure that I made the right choice for me.

PokyReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5s

I personally just swapped from halides and vhos to the new Giesmanns. If you haven't given them a thought recently I would definitely look into it !!! Loving them.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back