Best way to move water from point A (resevoir) to Point B (Tank)

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO as the title says, I need to move water from point A or the resevoir to the tank. Its about 40-50 feet away. I have used vinyl tubing before but never to move it this far.... So could I possibly use a garden hose to move the water???? Thoughts??

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. How much water do you need to move? and how often and how fast?
2. how much rise is there?

if we are talking top off water and not alot of rise, then an aqualifter will suffice with 1/4" tubing. you can step it later to reduce friction.

as for a garden hose, you could use that we well, but be sure to cut off the metal ends. hook it to a maxijet or Mag and you can thus move alot more water.

OP
OP
Captain Nemo

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to be able to use these for water changes. I have a mag 12 or 9 that I will use to push it and its all on same floor about 50 feet or so

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I bought a hose that was rated safe for drinking water. It was made from FDA- and NSF-approved food-safe polyurethane.
I did replace the ends with plastic fittings.
I used it to move water from a 265 gallon container at the far end of my garage to my new tank in my dinning room.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pump water about 35 feet from my mixing station to the tank. I have an external pump I use for mixing and simply plumbed a valve to direct out to tank. I use a garden hose (the white marine type). I found a garden hose adapter to go from the PVC connection to garden hose. I didn’t cut the metal connectors off and simply examine it closely to keep an eye out for any corrosion - Five months so far and no issues.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either Home Depot or Lowes.

joesreeftank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are planning on running the hose day of water changes the drinking water hose with plastic fittings are great, however if you want something more permanent you can get 3/4 plastic water ling on a roll and run it with no fittings with the exception of your input and outlet fitting. and you can get sharkbite fittings that require no tools just push in and that's it. that's what I use and I love it, by the way you can get this water line in white, red or Blue.

Joe

OP
OP
Captain Nemo

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it will be for water changes, I chose to go with 1" vinyl tubing. It allows me to move the water for water changes much faster with the mag 12.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back