Tunze vs Jebao return pump and good skimmer with small footprint (sca-301?) for 54G?

Slammed01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok slowly getting ready to set up my 54G corner, picked up my Aqueon Proflex model 1 (may build 15T eventually but with baby on the way want to get the tank rolling!) they recommend the Aqueon 2500 pump and Coralife 65 skimmer. Rather see my other options, will be going berlin with skimmer in 2nd chamber. Looking to order this weekend :)
Looking at pumps, was first going Rio but now I'm in between Tunze and Jebao DC6000. Trying to stay around $100 for now, could upgrade later possibly. I was thinking of doing a ball valve on the return side to control flow as well. (looking at flex or spa flex)
Jebao DC6000
http://www.amazon.com/Jebao-DC-6000-DC-Submersible-Pump/dp/B00G3HXLI2
tunze:
http://www.amazon.com/Tunze-USA-1073-020-Silence-Recirculation/dp/B000N0OT6S
Also what a good skimmer, I was thinking of getting a SCA-301, heard good reviews.
Could I upgrade the pump on this later if it went out?
SCA-301
Amazon.com : SCA-301 65 Gallon Protein Skimmer (in Sump) : Aquarium Filters : Pet Supplies
Eshopps PSK 75
Amazon.com : Eshopps PSK-75 In-Sump Protein Skimmer Up To 75 Gallons : Petsuppliesmisc : Pet Supplies
Sump chamber 2 is 4 3/4x 9 7/8" for skimmer and return chamber 3 is 6 1/4"

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say go with the jebao on return pump especially if want to reduce flow from max output as you can adjust it where you need. As for the skimmers I am not familiar with those but I would say either would be ok for your tank, but I think I may go a little larger if you are planning sps.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the skimmers, I'd pass on both. I'd say look for a good used reef octopus. They come up all the time and you can get a pretty good deal in one or if you can find a newer model eshopps with the sicce pump. If you really want to go with the sca I'd say go with the 302, those ratings are less than accurate but the atman pumps aren't that great.

For the pump I agree, the jebao should serve you well, it's quiet and easily adjustable.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just had a jebao powerhead fail...and now I am looking around the web and apparently they are not a company to be trusted.

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 8-10 of the powerheads and only one that has failed me is one I dropped. I clean mine every month or so though. For the money ya cant beat them imo. They are a cheap pump that works good.

masterkaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dc-12000 for return and a few of the powerheads wp10, 25, and 60. The controller on the return pump quit working after one month using it. Got another controller and havent had any issues in 8 months. While not completely silent on any of the equipment I mentioned, being on a budget, this is a good alternative. I havent had any experience with that tunze pump, but I do like tunze a lot and pretty sure it will be quieter than the jebao. But like I said havent had any experience with that pump.

tdo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using an asm mini g on my 54 corner. It works pretty well the the sicce pump. Maybe something to look at

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the SCA skimmer. you wont be sorry. Same with the Jebao.

now let me qualify it. I have a DC6000 pump on my 66 gallon tank. i have it set to the 3rd light and it is dead silent and has performed flawlessly for me since the first of july. Prior to that I had it on high for 6 months as an EXTERNAL closed loop pump. again, flawless. I have a pair of original WP40s that have worked flawlessly for 18 months. lastly I have the SCA-302 skimmer and aside from the air intake noise, it is silent. I made a homemade silencer for it with a pill bottle and some cotton and it is perfect now. I wish the collection cup was larger even. this thing skims like a beast. It is a bubble magnus knock off. I clean my cup weekly and it produces some of the most stank nasty foul stuff. I had a SRO 3000 on my old tank and this one performs on the same level as it. it is just as sensitive and the skimmate is the same. I have mine set on about #3 and in about 8" of water.

the 301 is smaller with the pump underneath it. the 302 is shorter and wider with the pump inside it. I am well stocked and feed frozen daily. ZEro nitrates and .06 on my phosphates. Phil at SCA is a great guy and will definately help you out if you need it. I also bought one of their tanks too.

OP
OP
S

Slammed01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it, figure I'd buy the DC6000 so I could run low/med setting and heard good things bout the skimmer. Looks like best place to buy is amazon too!

red13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 3rd generation Eshopps psk75h and it is a great skimmer. You might consider using a hang on the back model, so that you can put a bigger skimmer on the tank without being restricted by the sump dimensions.

OP
OP
S

Slammed01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to make a canopy and I think it'd be hard to make a skimmer spot in the side while making it sturdy as it would have to go in the side due to overflow

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back