help with a light upgrade for coral growth

skelator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello everyone, ive got a 46g bowfront tank. i currently have a few cheap ebay 3foot led bar lights. it was a cheap way for me to get started. the tanks been set up a year next month i believe. some of the coral i have seem to do pretty well where as some just kinda stay the same. i have a couple chalices that are growing. the leather i have grows really well. i have a green zoanthid that does pretty well too. the trumpet, acan, favia and this rastafarian zoanthid i have just kinda stay the same. the rasta especially ive had it prolly 7 months and it hasnt grown one bit.

ive never had an open top tank before. im unsure of the benifits and drawbacks of this. i have 6 small fish. clown (nemo for the kids) flame hawkfish, 6 line wrasse, psudochromis and the 2 damsels i cycled the tank with. (i still cant catch them lol)

the tank has about 70lbs of live rock 40lbs of live sand and 2 cheap ebay powerheads. one on each end of the tank. aquamaxx hob skimmer

any suggestions reguarding coral growth and health would be greatly appreciated.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you doing regular water testing and water changes? My acans,candy canes and favias enjoy the occasional frozen food.This seems to encourage growth. I am no expert on LEDS.You need specialized equipment to test the intensity of the lights.If you are thinking about a low cost upgrade ,I would recommend T5's.You could use them in addition to your current lighting.Also I would recommend keeping your lid so that you can place the T5's close to the surface of your tall aquarium.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be good to know the output on those LEDs that you do have. You may need to upgrade those to a 120w (3w LED) unit, or run a quad T5 HO unit.
Also, how often do you do water changes? And what are you water parameters?

Gundo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you do need a lighting upgrade, what is your budget and going forward what kind of corals do you plan to keep?

OP
OP
S

skelator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the reef radiance stuff for around 200. I'm not sure how good they are though. I do a ten gallon wc every couple weeks.

As far as water parameters what are you looking for? I honestly haven't checked in a while. When I checked a lot there was almost never any difference at all so I haven't checked in a while.

I assume I have s phosphate problem as I have relentless green hair algea. When I set the tank up about a year ago I got a "deal" on a bunch of live rock. It seems to be good but I suspect their leeching phosphate. I don't have a Hanna checker just the crappy color chart test kit. I used sea klear for a week but my big leather disent react well to it it shrivels up real small for days. It's still like that. So I stopped using it for now.

As far as corals right now I'd be happy if the ones I had actually grew then in get some others.

Zero Nitrates

I love chalices
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get stronger lights, your chalices might burn up. On the flip side of that, the other coral will probable grow better.

Back