Questions re adding regium to FOWLR setup

Ben jammin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 260 gal FOWLR with a healthy fish load, which I feed generously to avoid tankmates snacking on each other. My filtration is strictly the live rock (Ready Reef) and 2-3" sandbed in the DT, and a sump with two filter socks in the overflow and a Reef Octopus skimmer. I have brown microalgae growing on my live rock, not bad but not pretty to look at either. I wanted to add a refugium to help bring down nitrates (generally 40-80 ppm despite weekly 20% water changes), minimize the microalgae, and also provide food for my fish (both macroalgae for my tangs, and pods for my wrasses and other smaller fish).

My sump is a straight sump, not a refugium, and since the tank is built into the wall I can't replace it, but I do have room to add a separate refugium under the tank, next to the sump. Due to access limitations the biggest I could fit is an 8 gal refugium, just one big chamber (aside from the return pump). The refugium will be elevated, so a pump in the main sump pumps water into it, and it will gravity drain back into the main sump.

This is my first refugium, so a few questions for the board:
  • Will an 8-gal dedicated refugium on a system this size be able to grow enough algae to make a difference in my nitrates? How big of a difference can I expect?
  • From what I have read, it seems that you have to choose between a high flow to grow algae quickly for nutrient uptake, and a low flow to grow pods. Is that right? Will pods not be able to hang on to the algae in a refugium tuned for nutrient export?
  • When stocking the refugium, I was planning to order the Refugium Starter Kit from LA, with a mix of chaeto, ulva and granularia algae, as well as amphipods and copepods. Have folks tried this kit? It seems like the right mix from the research I've done.
  • I've got a filter sponge in my sump just before the return pump. Do I need to remove that enable the pods that get swept out of my refugium to get pumped up to the DT? Does the return pump not kill the pods?
Many thanks for any feedback!

NobleSun27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I would remove the filter sponge and use a lufa instead and that sounds like a good starter kit to me. 8 gallons will help but that Is a large tank to estimate how much of a difference it would make. I would also add live rock to the fuge for the pods.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back