Best Way To Refill ATO Top Off Storage Container?

BODI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious how everyone goes about keeping their ATO storage container "topped off"? lol

Manually refill it every-so-often? Logically that would seem the safest method. Any other method would almost defeat the purpose of having the ATO system in the first place would it not?

I have considered running my RO/DI directly to my ATO storage container (which is currently located under aquarium stand) by way of a simple float valve... but then I suppose that would kind of defeat the purpose behind the reasoning of why one should not just run the RO/DI directly to the sump! (well sort of)... your aquarium would be safe from over dilution (which is extremely important to avoid!), but your/my floor could still be flooded in the event of a failure I suppose, which is also a very important consideration. I don't want a over-diluted reef aquarium or a flooded house!

Maybe I am just over-thinking this?

I'm sure similar questions have likely already been asked, but I had no luck with my search results. I would appreciate other knowledgeable input and opinions!

geef64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just manually refill mine but i just got it started on my 180 build while it is still cycling

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ato container is small (5g) so I have to refill every few days. I just do it by hand and do a little maintenance on my ato system at the same time.

Chetrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a float valve on mine. But I just turn on the valve on the RO once a week otherwise the RO unit keeps running.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have to manually refill the ATO container on my 50, but I use kalkwasser in that one.
I have my ro/di hooked up to a float valve on a 30 gallon container that is the topoff container for my 233.

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a 16 gal water storage feeds 2 90 gal tanks its clear enough i can see when it needs top off have a float valve in it so i dont overflow, line from rodi with a shutoff valve if i want to make water for wc so i can shutoff line to ato. Just turn on when i need to. Dont leave my rodi running leads to tds creep and burns through di resin

captainsaquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I manually refill. I use the BRS RO DI systems in the basement and I have to refill the ATO replacement water once ever week or so. I keep it on hand but like some others have stated if you leave it on it will burn through your filters quickly.

OP
OP
B

BODI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies so far, I appreciate It.

I am trying to figure out the safest way to make the process as automated as possible because coming up soon I will be living 3 hours away from home for about 4 months... I hope to be able to return home 1 day a week to check on things, but that may not always be possible every week either.

Hmm, I wonder...Has anyone tried rigging up a garden drip system type of timer to control the supply water to their RO/DI so that it runs for 8 hours 1 day a week for a quick example (or whatever your own particular needs may require for your specific system)? Then the RO/DI could be plumbed to ATO storage via a float valve, and it would only be fed water once a week or as needed just enough to keep ATO reservoir full...

DavidinGA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uploadfromtaptalk1414261985159.jpg

The switch on the right turns Rodi on and fills my ato (yellow tube is the drain line from rodi). Setup up conveniently in the laundry room.

OP
OP
B

BODI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the photo : )

I used to have mine plumbed in the laundry room...
Now I have mine in my wifes Jacuzzi tub in our master bathroom to feed the new tank which is in our bedroom! Stop laughing Haha

Attachments

• IMG_6456.jpg
    IMG_6456.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 516
OP
OP
B

BODI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 33g Brute can on the right is my RO/DI storage, on the left is where I store freshly mixed and heated saltwater. I also have a 20gal Brute under the stand for ATO storage which for now I have been filling manually by hand once a week via a MJ1200 and 30 feet of 1/2" hose from the tubs RO/DI storage to the ATO storage under/inside the aquarium stand.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BODI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its that "last step" I am trying to automate further, only if it can be done safely!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BODI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got her permission first lol... she prefers to use the regular style tub in the guest bath anyways... she hadn't used the Jacuzzi tub in a couple years so it worked out in my favor ; )

DavidinGA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Rodi is in the laundry room where I feed the line through a wall out into the garage where it weaves around to a standard 55 gal tank that I use for the ato. That tank feeds a line through a different wall into the house and winds it's way into my sump (if only I had a basement it would be much easier).

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its that "last step" I am trying to automate further, only if it can be done safely!

That's what I haven't been able to figure out too, the last step, with kalkwasser added to the ATO tank and dripped overnight or morning at the same volume as evaporation. For years now, I've had the RO line feed directly into the sump with a float valve. Never had a problem with float valve failure and I hope I never do!!! I add 2 part buffer/calcium in the morning and sometimes drip kalkwasser manually 1 gal batch at a time in the morning. I would love to know how to automate this too although safely without problems.

DavidinGA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I haven't been able to figure out too, the last step, with kalkwasser added to the ATO tank and dripped overnight or morning at the same volume as evaporation. For years now, I've had the RO line feed directly into the sump with a float valve. Never had a problem with float valve failure and I hope I never do!!! I add 2 part buffer/calcium in the morning and sometimes drip kalkwasser manually 1 gal batch at a time in the morning. I would love to know how to automate this too although safely without problems.

?

Why don't you just feed the ro directly to your ato where your Kalk is at? Use your float for the ato/kalk tank. Or am I missing something?

I manually refill my ato/kalk tank as needed and that is then fed into my sump by a float switch (autotopoff dot com).

OP
OP
B

BODI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rj, sounds to me like you might be In the market for a quality dosing pump and controller?

DavidinGA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and you need a little pump for the topoff; I use an aqualifter pump that works great.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back