Skimmer pump replacement

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer pump looks like it has an otp 2000 knock off. Looks exactly the same but name on pump. I have been looking at the specs to verify but something kinda makes sense but i would like to verify it.

The normal otp has a 500 gph output @ 38 watts. My pump says 500 gph at 50 watts. Pretty close now the otp needle wheel which is what the skimmer would need says 190 gph at 21 watts. Is it the same as the 500 gph pump just less flow since impeller is a different and since less restriction less wattage?

OP
OP
Tab28

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea a brand i never heard of. This is a skimmer that was given to me as part of a trade. Nice skimmer body but dead pump. The pump says hailea hx-6530.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wattage isn't going to matter, especially if the skimmer is old, the efficiency of the new pumps is much better. Your probably going to be safe using the OTP pump your looking at.

OP
OP
Tab28

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wattage isn't going to matter, especially if the skimmer is old, the efficiency of the new pumps is much better. Your probably going to be safe using the OTP pump your looking at.

Thanks it does look like same pump. I figured the wattage made no difference just trying to make sense of the flow difference between standard and needle wheel. If same opt pump, even though the pump states 500 gph when needle wheel installed gph drops to less than half even though it is the same pump. This also drops watts. I would not need to find a pump that gets 500 gph with a needle wheel.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back