LED Mounting hardware

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen a few tanks that have LED mounted by an arm that comes from the back of the tank down to the stand.
Are these custom or does someone sell them specifically?

I have mine hanging from a shelf i mounted above the tank but am not too fond of the look.
Would like to try to get that behind the back type of mounted look...

At this point it might be impossible to get back there and mount the brackets with the water in the tank but am curious as to how it works, maybe I can do a macgyver or get some help.

Thanks

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're probably seeing the mounting arms for specific manufacturers. Those type screw to the back of the stand. What brand lights do you have?

OP
OP
Z06-Hec

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under impression they were all custom.
My LED are from Fathom
Fathom Hydra LED, they do not have that mounting option.

OP
OP
Z06-Hec

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics ?
Im at work so Photobucket is blocked, but i can see pics later. Or if they are hosted on another site i can see them here.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a wood hood that I want to mount my aquabeam 600( 12w unit) from at an angle. I need to direct it front to back. Any suggestions as to how do this?

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a wood hood that I want to mount my aquabeam 600( 12w unit) from at an angle. I need to direct it front to back. Any suggestions as to how do this?

I hang mine with 4 small chains, one on each corner from small cup hooks in the canopy. The front ones are a little longer than the back ones so it it tilted toward the back. This get a little more light on the coral and not so much on the front glass. This also make it very easy to pick it up and hook a different link in the chain when I'm working in the tanks.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Very cool after painted black. Think i may try that.

I made a set ( 2) to hang a T5 fixture and painted it. Worked very well.
I used the conduit c-clamps to hold it against the back of my stand. This also allowed me to swing both sides and the light out of the way, when I needed better access to the tank.

I went to my local Home Depot store and found the guy who worked in the electrical department and explained that I needed two 8' pieces of conduit for a project. I also said that I needed to put a single bend in each piece conduit, but if I had to buy the conduit bender, my project wouldn't happen because of the cost of the bender. Plus I mentioned that I would have to buy a extra couple piece's of conduit to practice on, because getting a good bend in the corners without creating bend marks needed a little luck or skill.
He said it was skill and offered to show me by doing the bends for me using one of the tools off the shelf.

3dees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to do the conduit fixture, but I can't figure out how to mount it to the back of my 120 gal. tank without emptying it to get it away from the wall.

OP
OP
Z06-Hec

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm... so im thinking, my tank is 72" across... Should i do 1 long or 2.
It will be hard to mount with only 3-4" space behind the tank as well...

I have 2 LED fixtures currently am thinking of getting a 3rd maybe for Xmas

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I saw a picture of a guys tank where he used 1" conduit and the pre-made bends ( long radius 90's). It came out from behind the tank on each end, and had a bend to bring it out over the tank, and another bend to make the conduit run down the length of the tank.
I'm afraid my attempt at the description isn't very good.

I'm pretty sure the risers on the back of the stand were pretty close to the end of the stand.
If I remember right he had 3 led units hanging from the conduit frame.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back