OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I've been running one since September and haven't touched it, cleaning or otherwise.
I have the beta unit, which has smaller mags than production unit. I ran on a 3/4" tank and had to use algae-mags instead of the included outer mag. However, after RAP we went to a local reefers house and had a production model running on his massive tank with 3/4" glass with no issues. Full power and it did not budge. Initially the outer mag was upside down and it slid around a little, make sure you have them aligned properly and both oriented in the upright position.

Thanks! I'll give it another shot on the 3/4" glass and see if I can get it working.

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After playing around with the pump I was able to get it to stick on the 3/4" glass. The issue was that when I first installed the pump, the wire coming out of the back of the pump was not yet molded to curve against the glass, so it was pushing the pump away and detaching it from the magnet. Also, be sure it's not too close to other pumps, I think the magnet on my MP60 was causing interference as well.

Lonelyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the gyre in the back right corner of a 30x30x24 93 gallon cube. I have it running on 30 percent and there's not one deadspot in the entire aquarium. The flow is perfect. Previously I only had 2 mp10s on there and was planning on getting a mp40 which would probably still not have been enough flow and cost double what the gyre does. My lights are still off but once there on I will try to get a video of it in low and then and in high. I have it mounted pretty much mid depth split the difference between the top and bottom. This is by far the best piece of reef equipment to come out recently.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that have it mounted horizontally how far below the water surface do you have it mounted? I'm a little concerned about splashing against the canopy on the far end of a 4 foot tank. I guess it can be angled down some and certainly can be run at lower power, though I'd like the most power without the splashing. Thanks.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious about placement on a dual mega flow 120. I'm wondering how it would work placed near the top centered on the back wall between the overflows. I'm worried about dead spots in the corners on the far sides of the overflows. Thoughts?
That would certainly be a very clean look but like you said I'd be a little concerned about those back corners. With the front glass only 2 ft away you'd have to power it down big time making those dead spots worse. You could try it like that but I think mounted on the side glass would work better.

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that have it mounted horizontally how far below the water surface do you have it mounted? I'm a little concerned about splashing against the canopy on the far end of a 4 foot tank. I guess it can be angled down some and certainly can be run at lower power, though I'd like the most power without the splashing. Thanks.

About 2" in my system. The pump is infinitely adjustable, so you can aim either side of the gyre up towards the water or down into the aquarium. Even movement of a couple mm on the cages makes a big different in where the water pushes. On a 4' tank if I'm at 100% it almost splashed out the other side if I have the pump aimed up towards the water. I think you will be OK since it's adjustable.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went on and installed mine. Must say I don't think much of the alternating flow. When running forward it's great but when it reverses it has a reach of about a foot down and out. The rest of the tank has no flow at all. I'm on pulse mode now. Much better. At 40% it has more flow than my two Tunze 6095's. More importantly, no dead zones. Very nice pump. I think someone asked about modes. There is constant, pulse, alternating and feed.

reefmania59

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the alternating is weaker. I set my alternatinh at 80 and forward at 50 now. I am getting some movement at the opposite end of the tank (6 foot).

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I jacked up the flow on the reverse and still barely got movement at the other end. Wish we could reverse for like 30 seconds and go forward for 15 or 30 minutes. I like the idea of clearing the pump every so often by reversing. Would work good at clearing algae or whatever might stick to the intake of the pump. We're stuck with equal flow duration. Reverse just isn't enough flow for me.

Lonelyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can turn it up all the way but it's ridiculous. I think it all comes down to your tank size and shape. For instance in my cube vertical is the only way. If I end it horizontal on the back it would destroy my tank. I think vertical for cube type tanks or hexagons etc and for text glut shaped tanks horizontal works very well

Lonelyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**** auto correct I meant rectangular shapes tanks. The I phone doesn't understand my bad English and changes it but makes it worse lol

Bubblewood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still looking at the reefers Dictionary for "text glut".... I'm really stumped on this one. lol

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can turn it up all the way but it's ridiculous. I think it all comes down to your tank size and shape. For instance in my cube vertical is the only way. If I end it horizontal on the back it would destroy my tank. I think vertical for cube type tanks or hexagons etc and for text glut shaped tanks horizontal works very well

Same here, max I can do is about 70% otherwise it blows things around too much. If I had a 6 foot tank it would be perfect on max power.

While the output is about the same as my MP60, it doesn't quite reach the center of the tank the same way the MP60 did. So I'm continuing the supplement with my Tunze 6095 on the back glass, turned low on pulse mode (was 100%). I moved my MP60 to the back glass as well and I'm running that at about 30-40% (was at 100%). My tank is how like a spa tub. It's incredible how much flow there is. I could get away with removing the MP60 entirely but I'm going to run it for now to see how things go.

Yep, I jacked up the flow on the reverse and still barely got movement at the other end. Wish we could reverse for like 30 seconds and go forward for 15 or 30 minutes. I like the idea of clearing the pump every so often by reversing. Would work good at clearing algae or whatever might stick to the intake of the pump. We're stuck with equal flow duration. Reverse just isn't enough flow for me.

I don't really understand the reverse mode. Does it push water the same direction for you just slower than the normal mode?

Lonelyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the flow is better also it really depends on your rock work on if u will need to supplement with other pumps

Back