Maxspect RipTide Owners Thread

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a few of the vendors made their own club threads for the RipTide but it might make sense to have a public version. I should be getting mine shortly!

Post what size tank you have, powerhead combinations, and any pictures/videos you have of the RipTide in action.

I think a lot of people are wondering how the RipTide / Gyre performs on smaller systems as well as how well the RipTide plays with other powerhead. Let us know!

I don't think anyone has had one long enough, but a video recently came out that suggests this pump needs to be cleaned monthly, at a minimum. Is this true? I wait at least 3-4 months on my Vortech and Tunze.

Last edited:

Fish76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered it. I have a 120gal (60x26x18) and have a MP40WES and 2 MP10WES but think I will not run any of the vortechs since I think the gyre will be enough for that tank.

I think a lot of people are wondering how the RipTide / Gyre performs on smaller systems as well as how well the RipTide plays with other powerhead. Let us know!

I don't think anyone has had one long enough, but a video recently came out that suggests this pump needs to be cleaned monthly, at a minimum. Is this true? I wait at least 3-4 months on my Vortech and Tunze.

If I remember correctly from the video, it said cleaning every 3-6months and checking monthly......

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered it. I have a 120gal (60x26x18) and have a MP40WES and 2 MP10WES but think I will not run any of the vortechs since I think the gyre will be enough for that tank.

If I remember correctly from the video, it said cleaning every 3-6months and checking monthly......

Let us know how it works out and what you end up running!

I have a 150g that is 48x30x24 and I currently run an MP60 at 100% and a Tunze 6095 at 100%. My return is a Ehiem 1262.

I'm really curious to see if I can turn off these pumps and only run the RipTide. For redundancy I'll keep at least one other pump running at a lower speed.

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the 2nd video courtesy of the Coralvue Blog and Carlos regarding maintenance and cleaning:

[video=youtube;CRYrLjsv7lQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRYrLjsv7lQ[/video]

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first video:

[video=youtube;JuwPHw-9uvg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuwPHw-9uvg[/video]

mc-cro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following, as I am contimplating getting one. My tank is 60Lx26wx24t. I have a center external overflow, with 2 MP40's on the back wall. I am considering getting one to put on one end and having cross flow.

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following, as I am contimplating getting one. My tank is 60Lx26wx24t. I have a center external overflow, with 2 MP40's on the back wall. I am considering getting one to put on one end and having cross flow.

I'll post with an update sometime this weekend. I'm probably going to run it sideways as well. I have the BRS screen inset into the rim of my aquarium, if water splashes too high it will hit the netting and pull the entire screen down.

I'm trying to figure our how high up in the water the RipTide has to be in order to get the full effect. In every case they run the pumps within 1-2" of the water level. Is there a reason you can't pull it down farther?

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam where is your whirlpool 60 gallon cube video with the RipTide running full-blast?

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gal display. Was on the pre purchase list but was advised by Chris to wait for the smaller model. Looking forward to watching this thread

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gal display. Was on the pre purchase list but was advised by Chris to wait for the smaller model. Looking forward to watching this thread

Sure you don't want the XF-170 :)

It would probably launch water out of your aquarium.

choff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an RSM 650 (150g) that has 4 power heads on the rear wall in a back chamber as well as 2 mp40s. I'm hoping to take the 4 power heads and at least one mp40 offline. It has a rear CTC overflow. The tank is 66" long and 20 or 24" wide

My riptide shipped on Friday. Looking to shutdown all but 1 mp40 and will be placing it on the left upper side side.

Add me into the group that wants to know how other pumps impact the gyre produced by the riptide. Good or bad.

Last edited:

Nomadic1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the controller functions? Is it totally manual, or, can it be programmed to do different things at different times (different speeds, surges, etc.)? Can the flow be reversed, and is this something that can be done automatically???

Ericsch333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to register for warrant and I couldn't find the riptide anybody have an luck registering

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took me awhile to get this thing up and running. I couldn't run it across the top of my tank because the magnet's are not strong enough for 3/4" glass. So I had to swap the rotors around to run it along the back, which has 5/8" glass. If you go beyond 50% power the magnet's will unlatch and the pump will fall. So you can only run at full power on 1/2" glass or less.

The rotors are a bit tricky, lots of small parts.

Running along the back of my 150 gallon at 40% doesn't do a whole lot if it's the only pump running, so I keep my MP60 on at full blast. Once I get the magnet upgrade I'll try running along the top like they do in the videos. Up there I should be able to run it at a higher speed. Along the back, I have a few corals in the way that would be destroyed if I went above 40%.

I think the best placement for this pump is not on the back wall but along a side wall and running it across the top of the water.

Overall I'm a little concerned about all the small parts in the pump, seems like a lot of failure points. We shall see how it does long-term.

Last edited:

Ericsch333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[video=youtube;zG3N_netG7U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG3N_netG7U&feature=youtu.be[/video]

It not the best video but I tried.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious about placement on a dual mega flow 120. I'm wondering how it would work placed near the top centered on the back wall between the overflows. I'm worried about dead spots in the corners on the far sides of the overflows. Thoughts?

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried theirs on 3/4" glass? Carlos is telling me that it works, but the pump totally sags on the glass.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked mine up today. 120g 4x2x2 tank. I'm assuming I'll have to run it at 30-40%. Will be replacing two Tunze 6095's. It'll be a few days before I get it in the tank.

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious about placement on a dual mega flow 120. I'm wondering how it would work placed near the top centered on the back wall between the overflows. I'm worried about dead spots in the corners on the far sides of the overflows. Thoughts?

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I've been running one since September and haven't touched it, cleaning or otherwise.
Has anyone tried theirs on 3/4" glass? Carlos is telling me that it works, but the pump totally sags on the glass.
I have the beta unit, which has smaller mags than production unit. I ran on a 3/4" tank and had to use algae-mags instead of the included outer mag. However, after RAP we went to a local reefers house and had a production model running on his massive tank with 3/4" glass with no issues. Full power and it did not budge. Initially the outer mag was upside down and it slid around a little, make sure you have them aligned properly and both oriented in the upright position.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back