How many gph return pump for a frag tank?

ValorG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a frag tank that is 3x2' and 8" deep. Will be using probably a 20 gallon sump and I will probably have about 3' of head. I will be growing only zoas in this frag tank so how many gph return pump would be good for me?

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many things to consider in making this decision. What is the capacity of your overflow? Are you going to use the return pump as a main part of your in-tank flow?

SeeingGreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same tank on my end. I am looking at running a mag 3 or quiet one 2200.

OP
OP
ValorG

ValorG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will just be using 1" vertical pvc as the overflows. Maybe 1-2 of them. And I would like to use the return pump as my main in tank flow.

There are so many things to consider in making this decision. What is the capacity of your overflow? Are you going to use the return pump as a main part of your in-tank flow?

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said, there are a lot of variables. You need to figure out your overflow rate, reduce head pressure and fittings. Also, might want to spread out your return flow to several areas of your tank. You figure out your overflow (I'd consider using 1 1/2" pipe, big increase) and I'll help you further from there.
GPHpipe.jpg

Aquarium Plumbing: Flexible Ball Socket Joint Tubing and Accessories

Back