advice on monitoring camera setup

petemichelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have a bad acting fish somewhere. eating corals, and picking on other fish. but I can't identify which one. my royal gramma has no tail left and I've lost like 6 corals. so my thoughts were to hook up a camera and record 24/7 and have it set up someway that it can keep a reasonable amount of storage space either in a flash card or a usb hard drive, and then just loop when it gets full. that way if I see something all beat up, either a fish or a coral, I can go back in the recording and see who did it. has anybody done this? what cameras specifically will work? how much space does take to record say... 24 hours? will the camera pick up a good image when the tank is under the blue lights? How well does the infared work in total darkness?

your experience will save me a lot of grief and work. please help with these questions.. I've been reading up on cameras but can't find any specific answers to these questions. especially about the blue light and total darkness, since we are viewing something behind 1/2 of glass.

Selvaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rough estimate would be 24 hours of HD video would reach the 200 GB neighborhood. Maybe try using a webcam to record directly to your computer's hard drive or an external drive. Then, after you've watched the video, you can delete the file.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back