Need help picking a light

sydney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!
I think that a light will be the first thing I buy for my future reef tank. It's a 20 gallon long, currently used as a freshwater set up, but will be converting it soon :)

I know I want an LED, I don't want to have to replace bulbs, and I have LED fixtures on all but one of my freshwater tanks, and I absolutely love them. But, I'm not sure what wattage, size, and brand I should get. I have about $150 to spend on lighting, I think that would get me a good light for basic corals, but would like to have a little wiggle room for higher level corals... Maybe acans and the like. I was looking at the Current Satellite fixture, I absolutely love all he features it has, the look, and I've always wanted one :xd: But the one thing that's holding me back is that I am unsure if it would be enough wattage or not. I can hang the light, I know that opens up more options. I don't want it super blue, but I don't want it super white, either. I like the lights with cool features and different spectrum's and colors. I was also looking at metal halides, but I don't like the fact that they run hot, and they don't have cool features like LED lights. But, I do like how they look.

Soo.... with all that.. help me pick a light? :smile:

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Current light you're referring to, it is a very cool light. I have it on a shrimp breeding tank. I've found that it won't even support light loving soft corals. So, no, you won't be happy with it for growing corals. Go to this site and fill out this form, they will tell you what you need for your specific tank and needs. You don't have to buy one. But, they do have a super sale going on right now.

Which Light is Best for Me? - Reef Radiance

SteveySingle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Radiance is doing a sale til midnight tonight. Go check out the thread in the sponsors forum. Ya got an hour. Awesome deals on awesome lights!!!

wrongpolo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like it, digital dimming and the timers built in is nice plus there's only one power cord, and the shell has a matte finish that almost feels like a rubberized paint. I've got ZOA's and acans and some favia in the tank with plans to add some sps down the road. Right now I only run them at 45% blue and 12% on the white and colored led channel.. Its much quieter than my old generic LEDs as well.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, thanks for all the links! I've been really eyeing the Hydra and Maxspect Razor, but they are out of my current price range. The 120 watt Oceanrevive looks like a good light, any personal experience?
Ive got the knock off unit, works just fine for me.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ill have to get you a shot of that side of the tank, I don't seem to have a recent one.

dmkahlan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Radiance is doing a sale til midnight tonight. Go check out the thread in the sponsors forum. Ya got an hour. Awesome deals on awesome lights!!!

They've extended their sale until 11/26. Awesome lights for the price. I'm running two on my 75g. Fully programmable and great growth from my corals.

OceanRevive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, thanks for all the links! I've been really eyeing the Hydra and Maxspect Razor, but they are out of my current price range. The 120 watt Oceanrevive looks like a good light, any personal experience?

I bought the OceanRevive fixtures before I started working for them. I've had EverGrow fixtures (sold by OceanRevive) over my big system for 2 years (I want sunrise/sunset control) and OceanRevive Arctic S026 fixtures over my 2 frag tanks for almost 2 years. They have all run perfectly since I set them up at the end of 2012. And I've saved a ton of money as well. Four tanks, 2000 watts of MH and t5 with chillers on both systems in 2012. In 2013 my electric bill went down $440 for the year (less used by lights, less used by my house A/C due to MH heat and MUCH less used by the chillers due to MH heat). I also saved about $350 in bulbs (I did t5 once a year and MH every 2 years). So in less than 2 years my electric and bulb savings have more than paid for the $1400 I paid for 6 led fixtures!

Feel free to pm me or come to our sponsor forum and we can talk. This is my 180g mixed reef.

Last edited:
Back