Hanna Alk Correction Factor

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious how many people find the need to correct their alk values.

Just a brief Google search has led me to possibly using a correction factor of multiplying by 0.82 since the Hanna meter supposedly reads a bit high.

I have ordered the Hanna Alk reference and will doublecheck my results once it comes in but just wanted to see if others are correcting the value.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how folks would determine that, or why Hannah wouldn't have the best fit they could derive based on standards. It sort of assumes one manufacturer is right and another is wrong.

That said, getting you own standard acid (say, 0.1 N HCl) and doing the titration yourself is the best way to know. That's part of my DIY alk test that I'll publish around Jan 1.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I checked the standard that comes with the Salifert kit the Hanna was closer to the standard than the Salifert test was.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I checked the standard that comes with the Salifert kit the Hanna was closer to the standard than the Salifert test was.

:lol:

Not what Salifert wants it used for. :D

drernesto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So should I buy the Hanna Alk? :D I was planing to order it from France as I live in Lebanon...
Thanks!

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That said, getting you own standard acid (say, 0.1 N HCl) and doing the titration yourself is the best way to know. That's part of my DIY alk test that I'll publish around Jan 1.

That would be awesome Randy, looking forward to that.

Back