Cant tune my vertex omega 130

woodzy128

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant get it to do anything but wet skim. looks like all the crap is getting stuck in the neck. If i turn it up it overflows if i turn it down it doesn't skim anything. Have the venture out one turn anything i do with that doesn't seem to help. Anyone with an omega have this issue? Any help would be great thanks.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How deep do you have it set. I think 7-9 inches is how deep it should sit. I have the 150 and if it's over 9" it just skims wet or overflows.

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been setup? Was it brand new? Have you checked the water height for the skimmer?

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set water depth 7 1/2" to 8" no deeper i have an omega 150 at 7 1/2" works great skims like a beast they do take a couple of weeks to break in

OP
OP
W

woodzy128

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it at 8 inches. should I raise it a little? Its been in my sump for about 6 months always done this.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on my 130 i have the water less than 1/4" above the outlet opening on the stand pipe. You also need to play with the piece on the front of the pump...can't remember the term for it right off hand.

joesreeftank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a vertex also, and I had a hard time learning to use it for several reasons. I love it but it did take time to learn to adjust it.

If yours is in sump like mine this may help you.

When I first installed it i had to raise it to about 5" of water, I know the instructions say 7 but i had to go 5" for the first month or so after awhile i was able to lower to 7".

My biggest problem was i did not realize that when I feed the tank it changes the water and the skimmer would look like it was not working so I would adjust it and once the food in the water was gone it would =be running over the cup again. once I realized what was going on i left it alone and it started working great. From time to time something in my water will triger it to run way to wet and the adjustmernt tube is all the way open so What I do is roll up a small piece of paper towel in put it in the air intake to slow the bubbles down. I know this all sounds like a hassle but i own this expensive skimmer and it does work great just can be a hassle from time to time learning to adjust it. It is very likly others will know beter ways to get it to function properly.

Hope this helps you and remember once you get it dialed in, when you add anything to your tank do not adjust your skimmer until the water is back to normal.

Joe.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are good points, and they apply to any high end skimmer, things like feeding always collapse the foam. Also remember if you have a small system and a powerful skimmer it will not constantly produce foam. When the "skimmables" are gone the foam will drop. Many folks then adjust the skimmer, but when the organics build up it overflows the cup. It's not just vertex, top brand skimmers are pretty strong now.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 what hart said. I've got the 130 on a 75g tank and only see results after I feed.

ReEfnWrX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you get fed up with tweaking your skimmer so often... Look into getting a Lifereef :) longest I've gone was two years with only cleaning collection cup and neck. Set and forget

bgallagher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine in 6.5 inches of water. I adjust the water line in the skimmer right to the point the skimmer body meets the neck. Now tighten the volute all the way and start turning it out a 1/4 inch a day. Be patient! Eventually the skim-mate will start to collect and rise in the neck.

Spiderguardnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I'm having the same problem I can't stop it from overflowing

What should I be adjusting the volute or the red pipe?

Also why does it sometimes looks the bubbles like it just drops?

If you guys need a video no problem

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I'm having the same problem I can't stop it from overflowing

What should I be adjusting the volute or the red pipe?

Also why does it sometimes looks the bubbles like it just drops?

If you guys need a video no problem

The red pipe. Open it all the way at first and slowly close it over a period of days. If it overflows open it up more. I run my internal water level about where the cup screws into the body. I turned my volute but I couldn't tell it did anything.

Spiderguardnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red pipe. Open it all the way at first and slowly close it over a period of days. If it overflows open it up more. I run my internal water level about where the cup screws into the body. I turned my volute but I couldn't tell it did anything.

Thanks for the reply been stressing
So I should be adjusting little by little over days?
I was turning it a lot lol I gues that was my issue I didn't do it slowly

What causes the foam to fall way below the neck?

My foam is on the top of the skimmer cup maybe I'll turn it down a little

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back