Big boy skimmers!!!

rininger85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought reef octo sro5000int for my 240 with 75 sump and 40 refug, it's my first skimmer and I'm excited to see it go

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought reef octo sro5000int for my 240 with 75 sump and 40 refug, it's my first skimmer and I'm excited to see it go
Is it running now or is it ordered? Just asking in case you had pics of it running. What's your bioload gonna (or currently) be?

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody run the hydor 2005 recirculating skimmer? States it's rated for 800 light, 530ish heavy

rininger85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it running now or is it ordered? Just asking in case you had pics of it running. What's your bioload gonna (or currently) be?

the skimmer is trying to break in currently. My 240 is not running yet, I only have about 6.5" of water in the bottom of it just to break in the skimmer. I added some of the sand to the tank and was hoping to use the skimmer to remove the fine particles. Still waiting for it to break in, apparently from reading now after I put it in the tank I probably should have ran it in a smaller tank with a vinegar/water mix to help break it in fast / remove the oils from manufacturing... but I guess I'll just wait for it to break in the hard way... been running a bit over a day now.

Long term I'll have a pretty heavy bioload, 3 different big tangs, total of 30-36 fish or so... they are rating it for 400gallons with a heavy bioload, so might be a bit undersized since I'd like to have 2-3x the tank capacity for good skimming, but we'll see as the tank progresses in the new year I guess...

Kyuss414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Watch for crazing/cracking just below the neck (like in my pic - that's my SRO3000int) From what I've gathered Reef Octopus didn't use cell cast acrylic on any of the SRO's, and I'm not sure if they changed that with any of their newer models either.

berbotty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a RLSS db10 open volute with a dc10000 in it - I had replaced my perfect working sro 5000ext with it. The db10 is a beast - the best skimmer I have ever used which is a total of 4

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anybody run a bubble magus nac9?

Last edited:

tonymission

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my bubble King supermarin 200 on about 200g of water. Not sure if that qualifies as a big boy skimmer but it sure does big boy work!!

eagle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at the reef dynamic skimmers and the air/water ratios trying to see just how much pump I can put on the rs250 I bought. I'm thinking I want to use hydrofoamers. The 9420 tunze puts out 850 lph. I'd like to put one in the original inlet on the skimmer and add another in a recirculating configuration. That would be 343 gph and 1700 lph of air going through the skimmer. I'll have to make a fitting for the suction to use a pump in recirc mode. I'm sure the skimmer can handle it. From what ive read the mixing chamber is larger on the rs250 than a ins280. The ins280 puts out 2200 lph of air. Anyone played around with adding pumps? I've seen one guy that did a recirc mod with the hydrofoamer and he silicone a fitting for the suction since it's an odd size. I was thinking about having an adapter machined to fit.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back