lighting opinion Metal Halide

cpt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have been checking out a few options for upgrading my current lighting system and stumbled upon this metal halide flood light, whats the potential that this could be a sustainable option for a reef lighting system excluding the halide flood light bulb and replacing it with the appropriate bulb

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 193
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 261
OP
OP
C

cpt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still looking for some feed back on this product, I have not run metal halides on my tanks before so im pretty inexperienced in the workings off halides

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not a ton of light, but yea it would work just fine using the correct lamp, and not a very deep tank, or if you were goin with softies.

OP
OP
C

cpt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not a ton of light, but yea it would work just fine using the correct lamp, and not a very deep tank, or if you were goin with softies.
So should I be looking for more like 250 watt setup?

And a 75 watt 14,000-20,000k bulb would or would be effective for Montipora and millepora in a 55 gal mixed reef

OP
OP
C

cpt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A single, or even a couple bulbs that size would be ineffective. Look for a 2x150 watt fixture

specifically I was hoping to make something work with the lighting fixture and ballast at 75 watt at that $52 price range, once you get into higher output systems that price range isn't really that justifiable in my opinion and wallet size.
its is crazy to me that some systems are so outrageously expensive.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would be better off buying eBay LEDs or a used t5ho unit. Quality metal halide lighting has comparable upfront cost to anything else. People definitely don't use metal halides because they're cheap. I don't know that any of the higher quality bulbs come in 75 watt option

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The great thing about metal halides is that they have been around for decades. So quality used pieces can be had on the cheap.

OP
OP
C

cpt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would be better off buying eBay LEDs or a used t5ho unit. Quality metal halide lighting has comparable upfront cost to anything else. People definitely don't use metal halides because they're cheap. I don't know that any of the higher quality bulbs come in 75 watt option

that's what im finding, I am running t5 and LED and its producing growth but not explosive growth, I have found a few 75 watts but I cant say for sure what the quality of output will be, so is t worth the gamble...?

OP
OP
C

cpt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes and no I have not had great success finding locally or finding reasonably prices items but seller refuses to ship, FLM ha so this 75watt option may work? but how well will it work hybridazn

Last edited:

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't personally waste the money on a gamble. If you want explosive growth, I'd advise to save, and buy something proven to help provide explosive growth. The data is pretty widely available

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I'd not use 75w halides on Millis, not enough light. 150w-175w would be your best bet.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not even sure you would be able to find a 10,000K 75 watt bulb, let alone a 15-20,000 K one.

OP
OP
C

cpt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe those are DE, the one in the OP looks to be SE, I should have been more clear.
Ha not gonna lie that's way beyond me, I literally have no experience with metal halide lighting that's kind of why I need it broken down into simpleton terms.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha not gonna lie that's way beyond me, I literally have no experience with metal halide lighting that's kind of why I need it broken down into simpleton terms.

DE --- Double Ended

This is a 250 watt one, for DEs the different wattages will have slightly different ends. In addition, DEs do not have the built in UV shield and will need one between the lamp and the tank. If the shield isn't there, you will damage/kill your kills and could damage your eyes.

Phoenix.jpg

SE --- single Ended/Mogul base --- have built in UV shield.

Not the greatest picture, but... (( basically, like a normal light bulb ))

Ushio.jpg

OP
OP
C

cpt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DE --- Double Ended

This is a 250 watt one, for DEs the different wattages will have slightly different ends. In addition, DEs do not have the built in UV shield and will need one between the lamp and the tank. If the shield isn't there, you will damage/kill your kills and could damage your eyes.

Phoenix.jpg

SE --- single Ended/Mogul base --- have built in UV shield.

Not the greatest picture, but... (( basically, like a normal light bulb ))

Ushio.jpg
Oh got ya, yes I did know that the aqualite bulb had a double ended conection and would not work with the lighting fixture I was referencing but it is a 75 watt at 10000k+. I have not had success locating an alternative bulb for that specific model but said there was such a bulb still seems not to be worth the effort

pirate2876

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those aren't going to be worth it. Either save up for a decent halide set-up(quality of reflectors, bulbs, wattage, fans), or look on forums for deals on used equipment.

A lot of people make the same mistake and try to cut corners in the beginning with equipment. All those only end up taking up space...in your garage eventually.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rule of thumb: if your MH fixture has plastic on it or the ballast does not have a ANSI designation, then it probably is not any good.

Back