Do we really need the refugium in the SPS dominate reef tank?

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, all
I am in the process of upgrading my current reef tank 46g 90% SPS dominate with very few LPS to a 93g cube. I am currently running a refugium with reverse light cycle. I would like to know whether the refugium has any value added to the SPS tank or just a place for the Pod to hang out. Thank you very much for the information sharing.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae that you grow in the refugium help use up nutrients that are in the tank, thus helping maintain water quality.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don't like them if they are not at least half the size of the dt or larger. Now if I had a system that was plumbed to a remote area that was about the same size of the DT or at least a trashcan I think they are good, but not needed. I tried to keep a small one with chaeto under the stand and it was a pain and never really seemed to do anything. As to the question if it's needed, no, not at all. There are tons of SPS tanks without them.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a HUGE fan proponent of large high flow Refugiums and give them much credit to the success I've had with any Reeftank but especially SPS dominated ones. That being said I plan to further adjust towards a modified DSR Method (which does not incorporate one) but feel will only enhance nutrient export along with all the other bennies like pod production, fry nursery (Banggai Cardinal and hopefully Tailspot Blenny one day) and bio-diversity. I utilize 3/4 of a 75 sump as a fuge or a 36x18 area which I feel just becomes large enough to really have a real effect. Also run my fuge lit 24/7.

Cheers, Todd

Last edited:

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will find lots of people who run them and have amazing tanks, and those who don't and have success. There are many ways to keep healthy coral, but the question was if they are needed, and they are not required to have a nice tank, just a tool. Now if you don't use one you might consider other options like carbon dosing or scrubber or minimal feeding.

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A refugium is but only one method of nutrient export, many exist and can be used alone or in parallel

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like mine for microorganism propagation if nothing else. I enjoy seeing thick swarms of various pod species as well as truckloads of sponges and feather dusters that otherwise get wiped out in the display. My Fuge volume is 14"x14"x10" on a 90 gallon display 40 gallon sump, so nowhere near half the total water volume, but it does it's job. It won't create an ULNS environment but has other benefits. I prune about 3/4 of my macro once every few weeks. Chaeto, Halimeda, grape caulerpa, and a lot of turf algae and such. The more "gross" the refugium looks, I tend to think the better it's working

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a fan of fuges in my SPS systems (I skim heavily) because they are too effective at removing nitrate. I prefer to have my nitrate level 10-15ppm for optimal color. On a skimmer less system I think it would be fine.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 59 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back