Custom sump help

Tonynose188

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an acrylic tank and acrylic sheets I am going to make baffles and a sock holder from the plexiglass. Question is do I use acrylic glue or aquarium silicone? And what product should I buy.

woochi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weldon#3 acrylic glue? Practice on a piece and read caution labels

flounder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weldon 3 is really fast and water like. Weldon16 is nice and slow and thick like toothpaste. Much easier to work with. On my acrylic sump I used silocone for the acrylic baffles because when (which I will be doing shortly) I re-plan and re-do the sump and move baffles you CAN remove silicone, you CAN NOT unglue weldon. You have to cut it out....which is messy. (There is a big difference in plexy and acrylic, work on removing the word plexy from your vocabulary, you don't want to accidently order plexy or use it)

OP
OP
T

Tonynose188

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
flounder;2126612 (There is a big difference in plexy and acrylic said:
What is the difference between plexiglass and acrylic and why couldn't I use it just for the baffles. I got 1/4 plexi for the baffles. Planned on installing them with aquarium silicone.

OP
OP
T

Tonynose188

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weldon 3 is really fast and water like. Weldon16 is nice and slow and thick like toothpaste. Much easier to work with. On my acrylic sump I used silocone for the acrylic baffles because when (which I will be doing shortly) I re-plan and re-do the sump and move baffles you CAN remove silicone, you CAN NOT unglue weldon. You have to cut it out....which is messy. (There is a big difference in plexy and acrylic, work on removing the word plexy from your vocabulary, you don't want to accidently order plexy or use it)

Next question, with acrylic sump to acrylic baffles do I leave room or make it a tight fit if Iam using weldon 16?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 83 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back