Using GFO and/or Carbon

msujohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a 90 gallon tank that will be a reef tank (mostly LPS & softies) and have been reading alot about reactors. I plan to have macro algae in my sump as well. Here are my questions:

- Do I need to run both GFO and Carbon?
- Should I get a single reactor and combine them or a dual reactor and run separate?
- Should I just wait to see if I need to run GFO/Carbon? I worry that if I wait and have an issue it might be too late???
- Would it be better to run GFO/Carbon passive and use media bags in my sump?

OP
OP
msujohn

msujohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the other question that I should have asked is if I should run bio pellets and carbon as an option?

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run both. GFO and Carbon. I would advise you to NOT put GFO and Carbon in the same reactor. Reason being the GFO is harder than carbon and will probably grind the Carbon down to fine particles over time and enter the water column. I run GFO in a reactor and use mesh bags to place carbon in my sump. Make sure you get some Chaetomorpha algae for your sump. I run these three items religiously and have zero nuisance algae outbreaks in my tanks.

Last edited:

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, I too run both in the BRS dual reactor, not combined, along with chaeto in the sump, and it's worked out perfectly thus far, but it's only been about 7 months.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run neither gfo nor biopellets in a Lps and softy tank. Your growth will likely be pitifully slow with such clean water. Carbon helps for coral
Warfare though.

OP
OP
msujohn

msujohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run neither gfo nor biopellets in a Lps and softy tank. Your growth will likely be pitifully slow with such clean water. Carbon helps for coral
Warfare though.

So if I have a LPS dominant tank, it would be better to only run carbon? I'm very limited on space under my tank and trying to figure out if I should get a dual reactor or not. I think I could fit the dual reactor in, but it would be tight. My thoughts are to get the dual and worse case just run it with both carbon. Thoughts on this?

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you I'd get a BRS dual reactor and run carbon/GFO from the get go. You can mix the two in a single reactor but with 90 plus gallons you will unlikely be able to have enough media for your system, also GFO lasts longer than carbon and you'd have to dump out good GFO when changing out media.

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your worried about slow SPS growth in a nutrient free tank, feed your corals. I would rather spend my time enjoying feeding my corals than scrubbing nuisance algae out of my tank and sump. Not hating....just saying. BRS
brand GFO and Carbon... Quality stuff.

Last edited:

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you I'd get a BRS dual reactor and run carbon/GFO from the get go. You can mix the two in a single reactor but with 90 plus gallons you will unlikely be able to have enough media for your system, also GFO lasts longer than carbon and you'd have to dump out good GFO when changing out media.

I agree with WindeyD on this one. I replace my Carbon every ten days. GFO is replaced monthly.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the OP was only interested in LPS and softies. You can absolutely throw every coral type under the sun in one tank and they'll all survive if you're good, but what the OP is discussing doing (maybe not even intentionally) is focusing on a narrower range of corals that thrive under certain conditions better than others. All I had is my own experience, which is both doing what the op suggested (running biopellet reactor, carbon, and gfo all at once), and doing what I suggested now, which is carbon alone. In my experience, zoas, euphylia, symphilia, favia, ect (Lps & zoas essentially) have grown noticeably better in the simpler tank without such aggressive filtration. They grew unreasonably slow when I was carbon dosin and getting undetectable NO3 and PO4 numbers, even with daily target feeding. Just my observation. When I simplified the setup and let the water dirty up a touch, growth increased tenfold. Is there now a touch of algae...yeah...a little. By no means any amount that requires any more work of me than the tang and foxface put in already.

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that Zoa's do better in a slightly dirtier tank. It's all about finding that correct balance of filter media that is right for your tank. Start with the Carbon and/or Chaeto first. If you find that your having algae problems down the road, then add the Media Reactor. Or add the media reactor now so that it is in place. Start by putting carbon in the Media Reactor, and if you decide to try or need to run GFO,Put GFO in the Reactor and relocate the carbon in a media bag in a high flow area in your sump.

Last edited:
OP
OP
msujohn

msujohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the advice. I think i will buy the BRS dual reactor. Should I get the high capacity GFO? And for the carbon, should I get the premium ROX?

lionfish5740

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that the requirement of running either or both will depend on your tanks nutrient levels. I suggest getting the reactors and media along with good test kits. Pay close attention to your fish and corals to learn where you want those levels. I carbon dose and use premium ROX 0.8 and ROWAphos for GFO to keep the levels where I want them. Although, I don't use biopellets because I never bought a recirculating reactor to control the bacterial growth on them. It's a balancing act that can't be rushed but it works great for me. As long as you pay attention to your tank then it will work out fine :bigsmile:

Justin1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to but in, is it ok to run gfo and carbon in the two little fishes phosban 150? If so does the gfo need to tumble on the back of my gfo it says in caps do NOT let it tumble.

gtbarsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are running softies, and are adding a fuge I would start with a BRS single, whose capacity is 3 cups. You should have just enough capacity in the single for a 2x qty of carbon and a normal qty of GFO. I would run GFO and carbon together in a 50/50 to a 66/33 ratio carbon to GFO. You will probably find reducing the GFO from the BRS recommendations is desirable as you do not want to run your phosphates down to 0 with the GFO, your macro algae will need some, and softies like a bit more nutrients in the water. Additionally you want to blend your media so the carbon and GFO are exhausted at about the same time.

Worst case you can get a 2nd BRS single and have more control then you would with the BRS dual since back pressure on one should not effect the other.

P.S. Watch the BRS video regarding this as it discusses how to load mixed media, it discusses how to prevent grinding of the media.

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run both GFO and Carbon separately in 2 BRS single reactors.

Plus side I can change 1 at a time if the GFO is exhausted before the carbon and I have separate control of water feed to each of them.

I've heard that with a dual reactor as the GFO pack up a bit and the flow slows down there is not enough flow for the carbon.

Justin1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are running softies, and are adding a fuge I would start with a BRS single, whose capacity is 3 cups. You should have just enough capacity in the single for a 2x qty of carbon and a normal qty of GFO. I would run GFO and carbon together in a 50/50 to a 66/33 ratio carbon to GFO. You will probably find reducing the GFO from the BRS recommendations is desirable as you do not want to run your phosphates down to 0 with the GFO, your macro algae will need some, and softies like a bit more nutrients in the water. Additionally you want to blend your media so the carbon and GFO are exhausted at about the same time.

Worst case you can get a 2nd BRS single and have more control then you would with the BRS dual since back pressure on one should not effect the other.

P.S. Watch the BRS video regarding this as it discusses how to load mixed media, it discusses how to prevent grinding of the media.

Thanks I should've added more detail, I'm running a 60 cube 30 gallon sump (skimmer and fuge sections) and just bought a phosban 150 last week and threw 2/3 cup of carbon in. In the tank I have mostly Lps a toadstool and two acros. Is phosban necessary if my phosphates are at 0 anyways, I did water changes every week but am trying to slow down to every 2 weeks to a month if possible that was why I was thinking of gfo to keep my phosphates down during this time.

Last edited:

lionfish5740

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I should've added more detail, I'm running a 60 cube 30 gallon sump (skimmer and fuge sections) and just bought a phosban 150 last week and threw 2/3 cup of carbon in. In the tank I have mostly Lps a toadstool and two acros. Is phosban necessary if my phosphates are at 0 anyways, I did water changes every week but am trying to slow down to every 2 weeks to a month if possible that was why I was thinking of gfo to keep my phosphates down during this time.

I would say not to use phosphate media if you don't have a phosphate problem, let your corals use what little there is. Just have a good test kit and check it weekly for a while to see if it creeps up on you. When it does show up beyond a reasonable value then you know to bring out the GFO.

Viracon13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't use a dual reactor as carbon and GFO required different flow rates to be efficient. They also have to be replaced after different time periods. I stopped running carbon in a single reactor and just placed it in a mesh bag between my sump baffles and didn't notice a difference by running it passively as opposed to actively. I would definitely run carbon on the tank but the GFO really depends if your system needs it or not. I would run it in a single reactor if you notice elevated phosphate levels. If you do start running it in a reactor, I'd also recommend using half the recommended amount and slowly build your way up to avoid stripping your tank of nutrients too quickly.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.2%

Back