Test kits.... Good, bad and ugly

mwbeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am looking for your opinions on the most accurate and best kits. Also what should I be testing that I am not

I have currently:
Seachem nitrite and nitrate
Seachem ammonia
Seachem PH and Hanna PH probe
Seachem Alkalinity
Salifert Calcium

I am getting for Christmas:
Hanna Alkalinity
Hanna Phosphate

What else should I test and what's the best kits? I have heard that some kits for certain tests and a different for another test. My seachem kits are running low so it will be time to replace soon

Best kit for magnesium?

Last edited:

jayhawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Hanna for everything (Alk, Cal, Iron, Iodine, Nitrate/Nitrite, and Phos) except magnesium (Red Sea). I am an obvious Hanna fan. The only issue is obtaining the Nitrite/Nitrate reagents. I had to get the via the UK. They are easy and it takes less than 20 minutes to test my water.....I rarely test Iron and Iodine. I went a little overboard.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea Pro Ca, Alk, and Mg. I prefer it over the salifert kits which I have used
Hanna ultra low range Phosphorous PPB meter (Hanna reading X 3.066/1000 for free organic PO4 conversion)
Elos Nitrate.

I test alk ever few days. Often enough that I always like to have another alk test on hand ready to go. Calcium once every week or two. Magnesium, po4 and no3 once a month

Back