Chiller under tank

dfm34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone keep their chillers under their tanks in the cabinets. I was told it was not a good idea due to the heat the unit produces and it will not vent. I should qualify this with the fact that my sump is not under the tank my cabinet is empty and I want to put the chiller inside to make it easier to plumb. Is this a bad idea??

Thanks Dan

lionfish5740

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't needed a chiller yet but I've noticed that it heats the room a lot at a friend's house. Best to put it outside IMO

Duffs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put it under your tank in a cabinet you should have some kind of ventlation in the cabinet. The chiller will work in a cabinet without ventilation but the recirculation of the heat it generates will keep the head pressure high inturn shorting the life of the comp(plus longer run time and higher electric bills )If you read most chiller instructions they will have what unobstructed distance they recommend from the front and back (this is for proper airflow thru the coils) ....you should have the room but would recommend ventilation holes cut in the cabinet if that doesn't help with the heat generated installing a small fan to come on with the chiller will

Finnaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with above. Chillers are noisy and put out a lot of heat. in the garage or outside is best.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting a chiller in the stand seems to me a bit like trying to cool a room by keeping the fridge door open - not a good idea!

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put it outside you need to shade it, they don't work as well in hot environments, especially when they have direct sunlight hitting them. But yea they do put out heat and noise. How big is the chiller you are looking to get?

Duffs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting them outside you can run into other problems most chiller are not rated for outside use (the electric compartment are suited for outdoor ) garage are good location if piping is short and not going thru hot place (attic) would have to insulate pipes and would use sch 80 pipe for add insulation

OP
OP
D

dfm34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. The cabinet back is open but I think I will find a way to keep it on the side of the tank

bitzerjd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small one in my stand...helps with the noise. I also have circulation fans blowing in fresh air and removing the hot air. Not the best solution, but it looks nice. Looking nice was key for a happy home life!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back