Ca Reactors

JurisHP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to get a Ca reactor. I've been doing A LOT of research and have narrowed my choices to the following:

Either a Reef Octopus dual chamber CR3000D or a GEO C618;

10# C02 tank;

A C02 regulator Aquariumplants.com Electronic Co2 Regulator (with 8 digit LCD Counter)

Which Reactor is better? It seems that most experts suggest a dual chamber, and GEO does not have that.

I have a Neptune Systems Apex controller. Do I still need a separate pH Controller? If so, which is considered the best?

Have I missed anything that I need?

niftyjosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10# co2 should last almost a year and a half to two years which is nice. I burn 5#s in just under a year.

I have no experience with reef octopus but I do with geo. A few years ago, I switched from my precision marine reverse flow to a geo and hated it. Acrylic was thinner and took a bit more tweaking to dial in. A few weeks in, I came home to a waterfall only to find the lid for the geo had cracked in half. Needless to say I switched back to the PM. I just got a new PM 5 weeks ago, regular flow as they don't make reverse flow anymore and I couldn't be happier.

As for the dual chamber, there are a few stand alone ones you can get and I highly recommend getting one.

I use a RKL to monitor the reactors ph and have it shut down co2 if it gets under 6.5.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's mine.
A LifeReef LCR2 CaRx with AP Carbon Doser and an old Cole-Parmer Masterflex drive for ultra consistent effluent drip rate.
My display is 200g plus another 150g in frag tank, fuge, etc.
And I really like this Two Little Fishies REBORN media.
The AP doser and Co2 tank are not seen here because they are on the other side of my fish room wall.
The only thing I don't like about this CaRx is the location of the pH probe because if you need to calibrate it, the whole thing needs to be drained first.
Not a big deal but adds time. But it is in a safer and more compact location vs sticking out the top of the lid.

i-7VBxsvM-L.jpg

Another highly regarded CaRx is the MTC ProCal.

Last edited:

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way too expensive. You don't need digital display, and even if you do want it, that's still too high.
But yes, that would work.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can if you need it right now. I don't see anything else a the moment.
I got lucky and snagged a very similar drive, just not as clean looking for $149.
See if you can get him down a bit.

smtwinn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Geo 618 with 20lb bottle and aquarium plants carbon dower and love it. Also I have apex to control/monitor pH you can run second pH probe in the orp slot. Monitor and calibrate tank probe and carx probe frequently. I also had a mishap due to probes losing calibration and tank pH dropping extremely low. Any acrylic reactor will crack if you have the inappropriate pressure being fed to it. Hope that makes sense.

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched to PM from 2 part for a the last 10 years. Loving it but still working on keeping ph up in display. Liking the coloration and growth but needing to stabilize it a little more.

ReefCartel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Geo 618 with 20lb bottle and aquarium plants carbon dower and love it. Also I have apex to control/monitor pH you can run second pH probe in the orp slot. Monitor and calibrate tank probe and carx probe frequently. I also had a mishap due to probes losing calibration and tank pH dropping extremely low. Any acrylic reactor will crack if you have the inappropriate pressure being fed to it. Hope that makes sense.

your CaRx set up is basically the same set up i will be doing :) thats cool. Just bought a second PH lab grade probe for the Orp slot.
I just got the Co2 today also. Just ordered the masterflex peri pump today. (compulsiveness got the best of me) lol
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422678658.042252.jpg

Av8Bluewater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Reef Octopus Dual CR5000D on my 215. Aquarium Plants regulator. Don't waste money on that counter. I have that and never use it.
Can't imagine a reactor being better than this. Build quality is superb. Put a piece of rubber for noise under the pump before you fill it with water.
Extra coarse media. Get about 4-5 gallons to fill both chambers.
It's been running over a year. After initial setup I have never once touched the regulator. Adjust the drip to the corals needs. That's about it.
If you use zeomag I would recommend putting very little. The recommends are 5-10% but that was way too much for me. Every tank is different but if you have to take some out it's a huge pain.

Last edited:

ReefCartel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking into that reactor. I wish I had the space for it and I already purchased the electronic carbon doser. All good ill give it a try.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had a mishap due to probes losing calibration and tank pH dropping extremely low. Any acrylic reactor will crack if you have the inappropriate pressure being fed to it. Hope that makes sense.

This is why I won't use a ph controller.
I just set my effluent rate and c02 rate and let it run 24/7.
The pH probe in the reactor is just to give me some idea of where I am with the effluent pH.
I just test alk every few days to make sure it's staying steady. If I need adjustment, I can change the co2 and/or effluent rate by hand and retest.

ReefCartel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which peristaltic pump did u end up getting? Find a decent deal?

I got the 77301-21 and I had to get the controller for it. I searching so hard for an affordable waterproof 10-600 rph but this was the cheapest route. Still need to get a easy load head.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422767573.690134.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422767580.469365.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 43 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.0%
Back