how many use purigen in there reefs ?

kacrocorals581

Gotta have that acro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how many use purigen in there reefs and have you notice a difference and and what are they also are you still using carbon along with it

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In on this.

One guy at my LFS uses purigen in a reactor. He liked it, but didn't give me a ton of detail. What he liked about it was that you can re-charge the purigen back to being clean again.

I have had GFO/Carbon reactor for the longest time. Has anyone changed from one to anther?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use purigen in my 120 and my biocube 14 mini reef when I had it along with in a freshwater tank. My observations: In my 120 reef I use quite a few different exports, carbon dosing, activated carbon, gfo, and a big skimmer. I have never had the purigen change colors after a year! In my biocube there is no skimmer and I ran carbon and gfo with chaeto, but I didn't change it out often. The purigen would turn colors pretty fast and I would recharge it ever 3 or 4 months. Same with the freshwater tank.

So imo in my 120 there is not much for the purigen to pull out based on the lack of color change perhaps due to the other effective exports, but in the other two systems it seemed to work great judging by color change which according to them is bound organics. I also have recharged them many times - just use enough prime!

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a cyano outbreak in my 55 reef. was using a skimmer and activated carbon, added the purigen (in a media bag). It turned dark pretty quick, so I recharged when needed. It cleared the cyano up nicely. Took awhile though.

tofucube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the 100ml bag in a 75 sps tank. I zip tie and float it in the sump along with a bag of carbon. Keeps the water nice and clear.

jmarcink91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a fan of purigen. I havent used chemi pure to compare the differences though. But the purigen keeps my water crystal clear. Nice since it can be recharged. You also only need like 1ml/gal. Put it in a high flow area for best results

tofucube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point about being able to recharge. However, the time it takes and the potential risk of nuking the tank by using too much bleach to save $7-8 every 3-4 mos or so doesn't seem worth it to me. I just stock up when Marine Depot or any other online retailers have them on sale :)

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it with chemipure blue in my 29 biocube. Always have so can't really compare to not using it.

jmarcink91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point about being able to recharge. However, the time it takes and the potential risk of nuking the tank by using too much bleach to save $7-8 every 3-4 mos or so doesn't seem worth it to me. I just stock up when Marine Depot or any other online retailers have them on sale :)

Lol yeah I havent tried recharging it yet since I only have a 20g and 9g that it is used in. Bought the 250ml container for like $15 shipped on ebay, so I replaced instead of recharging.

FishnFriendz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol yeah I havent tried recharging it yet since I only have a 20g and 9g that it is used in. Bought the 250ml container for like $15 shipped on ebay, so I replaced instead of recharging.

May I ask how long you need to replace a new bag ? I have 30gal and I also have been using Purigen fo 9 months. I replace it every 2 months. I really don't know it is too long or too short of time. Your input is highly appreciated.

jmarcink91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask how long you need to replace a new bag ? I have 30gal and I also have been using Purigen fo 9 months. I replace it every 2 months. I really don't know it is too long or too short of time. Your input is highly appreciated.

I would assume every tank would be different depending on how much excess nutrients the purigen is removing. Once it starts getting a little darker is when I change mine. I think I change mine roughly every 6 months

FishnFriendz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume every tank would be different depending on how much excess nutrients the purigen is removing. Once it starts getting a little darker is when I change mine. I think I change mine roughly every 6 months

Thanks. Now I know how to check it :)

eloehr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that buy it in bulk, what do you put it in? I have used the Seachem "The bag" but feel like it doesn't get good flow through it. Any DIY bags?

el_ote

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so purigen binds with organics and prevents them from breaking down into nitrates? Or is it phosphates that it keeps low?
also, i heard you all say you can recharge it with bleach? do you soak it then freshwater rinse it? then soak in prime to kill the bleach?

Monkeytank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it in "the bag" and recharged it many times. I hate "the bag" because I had several burst at the seams and spill the tiny dots everywhere. I didn't have a problem with recharging and using Prime to remove the bleach. I ended up throwing it all away after several bags ruptured and I found it to be a pain in the rear to deal with.

eloehr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it in "the bag" and recharged it many times. I hate "the bag" because I had several burst at the seams and spill the tiny dots everywhere. I didn't have a problem with recharging and using Prime to remove the bleach. I ended up throwing it all away after several bags ruptured and I found it to be a pain in the rear to deal with.

That also. Their bag starts to get really frayed at the top. I had those pieces floating around in my sump. I like the product and run it in my BC29, just need to find a media bag that has the right micron size to hold it for my big boy tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back