HOB refugiums

daniel_lee95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to hear personal experiences with HOB refugiums. I'm planning to set it up for my 10 gallon but I'm gonna upgrade the tank to a 20 soon... I have a HOB CPR bakpak skimmer and just a regular HOB filter.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran a medium CPR Aquafuge for 3yrs on my 26g before upgrading. My experience was...I would have gone bare bottom with it had I known what a bugger they were to keep clean. Being to close to the wall as it was. Make sure it is easily accessible. Detritus builds up quickly and your going to want the ability to siphon it out regularly. If you don't it becomes a cyano factory :)
Chaeto and live rock rubble would have sufficed. The sand made it very hard to keep clean. More so because the container is very tight to work with. Rubble & chaeto are easily removed for quicker clean up.
All in all a great addition to any nano. The extra water volume although small is a plus.

OP
OP
D

daniel_lee95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran a medium CPR Aquafuge for 3yrs on my 26g before upgrading. My experience was...I would have gone bare bottom with it had I known what a bugger they were to keep clean. Being to close to the wall as it was. Make sure it is easily accessible. Detritus builds up quickly and your going to want the ability to siphon it out regularly. If you don't it becomes a cyano factory :)
Chaeto and live rock rubble would have sufficed. The sand made it very hard to keep clean. More so because the container is very tight to work with. Rubble & chaeto are easily removed for quicker clean up.
All in all a great addition to any nano. The extra water volume although small is a plus.

Yeah I was looking at the CPR aquafuge too. So you would've just put some live rock rubble, and chaeto there? And I would need to clean it often? I really don't mind cleaning cause it keeps me busy and I like that...

Back