T5 Questions

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

So i currently have a rimless Cadlights 100g tank about 4ft from my couch. On top I have some custom CNCreef DIY LED fixtures that are great except i'm not quite getting the par I want at the sand bed (for clams) and they have no optics on them (Lumia 5.2 pucks) and can be quite intense and blinding when looking at the tank from sitting position on the couch.

What I'm wondering is if a nice 48" T5 fixture would be better for these problems. Probably a 6 or 8 bulb (the tank is 48x24x19). Would it blind me if I looked at the tank from the couch? I know the issue is due to 120deg optics (or lack thereof) on the LEDs so I am wondering if a T5 fixture like ATI would be better in this regard.

And lastly, are there any nice alternatives to ATI/Geisseman(sp) availible in the USA? Checked the normal sites and not much selection for T5 stuff now. I'm looking for sleek/modern style that would look good over a rimless setup, and also be dimmable.

Another alternative would be to drill some holes in the lexan covers on the CNCReef fixtures and add Lumia Optics to them.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump... anyone?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of the light source, I think you'll still have the problem of light bothering you when sitting. How about a floating canopy around the fixture. This simple solution works! You could now add maybe a two bulb T5's to this canopy to suppliment the LEDs. And FYI, when I ran T5's, ATI's were my favorite.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back