Best Kelvin for Chaetomorpha Algae.

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I wanted to get some opinions on the best kelvin for Chaetomorpha health and growth. Im looking for a LED Par 30 style bulb and have been hearing that 6500k is optimal temperature. The only 6500k Par 30's ive found are specialty grow bulbs and cost a pretty penny and you have to order them from a specialty lighting store. Is anyone running a 5000k daylight LED bulb on their Chaeto? 5000k is the only kelvin store's like Home Cheapo and Blowes sell's in a daylight spectrum. But I don't know how well Chaeto will do under 5000k. ( I've heard not well) Should I just bite the bullet and order a specialty 6500k?

sucker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed from 6500k to 3000k and my cheato grow like weeds

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had read an article where they tested the growth of chaeto with 3 different k bulbs. The 5500 k grew better than the 3300k bulb. I think the other bulb was 6500k

In the end the 5500k grew the best for his test. Because of this I try to find bulbs in the range of 5500k. Home Depot carries some led bulbs that are in that range for around $32

I have been using 3 of them in my sump with good results

Thanks
Randy

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
OP
OP
Zacco

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a Utilitech par 20 5000k LED at Lowes on the clearance rack for $9.95. I dont know if a par 20 will give me enough lumens , but hey, for 9 bucks it's worth a shot. Kinda like the idea of a narrow beam spread on a par20 so the light does'nt travel as much into the other sections of the sump. Below is a pic of the bulb. Sump is a work in progress.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 2,827

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that article quite a few years ago and used those bulbs, and growth was pretty good.
But once I switched to the Lowes bulb, growth really took off.

I tried this exact lamp in my 13x12" fuge. New system so I don't know if that means anything but within 2-3wks my fuge was full of Cyano & Hair algae.
Why was my fuge different?

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed from 6500k to 3000k and my cheato grow like weeds

Ya, i don't know where this higher kelvin rating info came from that gets repeated all over the forums. I could never grow the stuff.
Now I use a 150w HPS grow light bulb with a kelvin that looks to me is no higher than 2500k and my chaeto growth is insane.
In 2-3 weeks it goes from softball size to beach ball size.... 22" diameter ball of green goodness.

OP
OP
Zacco

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Been reading about 50/50 mixed results using 5000k bulb and a warmer 3300k bulb. From what I've been reading in articles is that cheato grows best with a kelvin closest to day light. (5000 to 6500k). But a pondering question that I have is, when you purchase your initial ball of Cheato, ever wonder what kelvin the LFS had the cheato growing under? Lets say the LFS had the Cheato growing under 3300k temp. If you take it home and put it under 5000k, would it stall in growth and health until it adapts to the color temp difference? or visa versa? Maybe Im nuts for thinking this. Could it act like a coral getting acclimated to a different kevin temp.? (Im no plant biologist. LOL)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zacco

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried this exact lamp in my 13x12" fuge. New system so I don't know if that means anything but within 2-3wks my fuge was full of Cyano & Hair algae.
Why was my fuge different?

I can see why that would of happened. Being a 5000k (day light) bulb. It might act like if someone had their display tank in the path of direct sunlight (or near a window). And that's a no no cause nuisance algae loves sun/day light. Now im second thinking my 5000k bulb purchase. I may start out with a 3300k LED and see what happens. I don't want an algae bloom in my new sump unless it's a cheato bloom!

Last edited:

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Been reading about 50/50 mixed results using 5000k bulb and a warmer 3300k bulb. From what I've been reading in articles is that cheato grows best with a kelvin closest to day light. (5000 to 6500k). But a pondering question that I have is, when you purchase your initial ball of Cheato, ever wonder what kelvin the LFS had the cheato growing under? Lets say the LFS had the Cheato growing under 3300k temp. If you take it home and put it under 5000k, would it stall in growth and health until it adapts to the color temp difference? or visa versa? Maybe Im nuts for thinking this. Could it act like a coral getting acclimated to a different kevin temp.? (Im no plant biologist. LOL)

Mine came from a local reefer running it under the same old CFL as everyone else.
Put in my new tank with zero nitrates under my HPS bulb and it exploded in growth as I described above.
So no, i don't think it needs acclimation. ;)

Msmith2813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a 5500 led bulb from lowes, and it grows chaeto like crazy! I think you'll do fine with a 5k-5500k. It has worked great for me so far.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Important to note that cfl's lose lumens pretty quickly. Should be replaced every six months. I think many don't do that and wonder why cheato isn't growing. Switch to another temp (new) and it takes off because of brighter light. Something to consider.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is when I put it in, with zero nitrates registering on my test kit.
And yes, the pic is color accurate.

i-B6scbnp.jpg

Here's the Death Star of chaeto 19 days later.

[video=youtube;vyc9fdCe244]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyc9fdCe244[/video]

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just adding in with d2..I also don't know where this "daylight" thing came from, and every time i tried daylight, it never grew as good as the lower kelvin rated "any type" of lighting. And that's cfl, florescent, or now, sodium.

And he is also right in the crazy growth from the sodiums. It literally explodes with growth under them.

And i really don't think there is a massive amount of adjustment period, as if it is, it "may" be a day or two at most, because you can almost take a picture of your initial ball from someone one day, then try to take a picture at the same viewing angle, or heck, even just looking at it, you see the growth and thickness increasing day after day.. And it does grow "that" fast under them. Even reading zero nitrate on test kits and looking at life in the tank..

And the kelvin according to this site i pulled is around 2200 of the sodiums(standard ones).
http://hpsgrowlight.net/

But i know, as d2 also stated, they look much more orange than anything else i have ever used to the eyes. And it is a very intense light to begin with. Then, you add in the reflectors designed for that type of light and system, thus, the results we are getting. The tech for indoor plant lighting systems is pretty mature so it's very efficient(bulbs, reflectors, etc) and nowadays, cheap!

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back