72 bowfront sump and fuge question.

unknown_element

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks already setup, with a wet/dry. The more i learn the more i want to change my setup, heres my idea. Space is limited under the stand, thinking a 10 gal sump on left side, with a bubble trap then the rest of the space for heater and return pump. Put a 2nd 10 gallon on the right side for a fuge with a u-tube going from the fuge to the sump. Will have the drain split from the dt to the sump and fuge. Sound ok? Is the 10g too small to be worth anything for a fuge.? Thank you for your time.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10g are a bit small for sumps, but there are plenty out there using them. You should be fine doing it that way.

a49panhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did u look into a 20 long. I fit one under my 72 bow
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1422708283.149834.jpg

gtbarsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really want nothing less than a 20 long for that setup.
If you cant get it under the stand consider going in to the room behind or below the tank.
If you get serious about this hobby you will regret using anything smaller, since you will have bought equipment that you thought would work out that fit in your smaller sump and end up having to replace it.

OP
OP
U

unknown_element

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most I can fit under there would be 20" long. I have a 24x12x12 that won't fit. I'm seriously debating building my own stand. What would be the "ideal" size of tank if I did that? 55g? I could plumb it to the basement too.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75g or 90g They both have the same foot print.

DTdr2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wanting a refugium, and have a 72 bow front with the same space issue (32" height clearance). I was going to take advantage of Petco's dollar per gallon on a 29g tank, but it wouldn't fit. Still toying with the idea of a square design, or 2 seperate sumps, however till I decide I bought a Marine Pure high performance biofilter media block, and 1 gallon of their 1.5" spheres. I put the block in the sump, and replaced half my plastic bio balls with the spheres. I'll be following and hopefully will get some ideas from this thread.

Marine Pure has a pretty good read on the bio filters if you want to ck it out.

http://www.cermedia.com/MarinePureTechSheet.pdf

OP
OP
U

unknown_element

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On second though i have a spare 24x12x16, 20 gallon high i can use as a sump/fuge. Still have to drain the tank and lift it an inch to make it fit. Keep in mind im new to this stuff so bare with me. Id like to see more pics of peoples fuges/sumps/filtration with a 72. Again thank you for your time.

DTdr2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did see a video on Melev's Reef site where he cut a panel out of the side of one of his bow front aquariums, and slide a long sump in.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%

Back