Ro/di need advice

Re3f_Adict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought these a few years back and the guy didn't kno too much about it. He said it was a 75gph. So my questions are

-can I get any more than 75gph or is that a set spec.
-what other expansions should I think of adding.
And where can I get an adaptor for it to attach to the faucet.

Attachments

• 1422730331332.jpg
    1422730331332.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 114

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The RO membrane determines the GPD of the unit, if it is a 75 GPD membrane that means it will make 75 gallons in a full 24 hour period at 50-65 psi and 77 degrees F water temperature or around 3 gallons per hour. The only way to increase that 75 GPD is with an RO Booster Pump which could double that number by increasing the pressure available to the membrane.

One issue I see is you have owned this system for a few years and obviously have not used it so the RO membrane has dried out and is no good by now. You will need to replace not only the RO membrane and flow restrictor but also the sediment and carbon block filters since the housings are empty. Then whatyou have pictured is RO only and not RO/DI which is much preferred for reef use so would require the addition of an add on DI canister and cartridge.

Add all these up and you will be around the cost of a brand new reef quality RO/DI system.

You can get a faucet adapter at any hardware store for $10-$15 that will adapt a RO/DI to a kitchen or bathroom faucet.

The other things you will need are an inline pressure gauge to monitor incoming tap water pressure and if the sediment and carbon block filters are becoming plugged or fouled and in need of replacement (most reef quality RO/DI systems will come with this standard) and a handheld TDS meter to monitor the membrane and DI resin conditions.

I would recommend checking out vendors such as www.spectrapure.com, www.buckeyehydro.com and www.purelyh2o.com for reef quality RO/DI systems starting at around $125 or for the replacement parts and filters you would need to fix that one up.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back