Nano skimmers-are they any better now?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 12g nano and have always heard that nano skimmers didn't work. I'm rebuilding it now after a crash and was wondering if nano skimmers have made any progress in the past year. Thanks for your help!

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In My Personal Experiance, the answer is NO.
I dont really think any of the NANO skimmers are worth the space they take up.
Im my Nano tank, i prefer to just go with liverock and some carbon in the back chamber (14G biocube) and occasionally thorw some chemi-pure or similiar back there as well.

SCMatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with an Eshopps PSK-75H on my 15gal and it seems to do very well, always get good skimmate from it. A sump would give more options of course, but a lot of us nanoers don't run sumps.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a below tank sump. Mine is a nanocube with the sump in the back. I've heard skimmers need some space above the waterline and my tank has a lid, so I'd have to remove the lid and mount it above the tank (leds are inside). I wish there was a hob skimmer for my size tank.

telesonic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nanoskimmer

I don't have a below tank sump. Mine is a nanocube with the sump in the back. I've heard skimmers need some space above the waterline and my tank has a lid, so I'd have to remove the lid and mount it above the tank (leds are inside). I wish there was a hob skimmer for my size tank.

Which tank do you have? How much space available in the skimmer area?
Reefdynamics.com makes nanoskimmers for small tanks.
Their skimmers use very small pumps with a special impeller that makes a huge amount of foam.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 12g JBJ nanocube. The lid shuts tightly but can be removed. The middle compartment in the back is probably about 3x4x12ish.

saltynovice378

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Tunze 9001 Doc in my 29 gal RSM 130. I use it in the back chamber and it creates good foam and is silent. If you do not have a back chamber may not be worth it as it would take up room. I do a 10% water change as well each week. I am also using GFO and Carbon reactor that hangs on the back.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an empty back chamber, but most of the skimmers I've seen only fit in a 29g tank.

telesonic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nanoskimmer

I have a 12g JBJ nanocube. The lid shuts tightly but can be removed. The middle compartment in the back is probably about 3x4x12ish.

If the middle chamber is 4.5" x2.75" , the nanoskimmer made for the 28gallon JBJ will fit.
The skimmer will stick out above the aquarium because you need the hight for the foam to dry out.
Let me know what you find out.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back