"Best Overflow"?

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

If you saw my other thread, you know I am getting a new tank replaced. While it's being constructed, I think I want to do a different overflow design. The tank had an external overflow in the middle. Are there any inside designs that don't take up a ton of space? I had an Elos and there design was sleek and compact. If not, I was thinking the ghost overflow, coast to coast or the glass-holes design. Any thoughts?

chessplayer86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beananimal Overflow

Go for the beananimal. search it up on youtube, its silent and efficient. Saves you of any power out too..

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the tank rimless? The ghost overflow looks cool, but the water level runs too low for a rimmed tank.

How is the tank going to be displayed? (In wall, visible on three sides, etc.) A C2C is great in an in-wall cause you can't see the sides. I think they look goofy if the sides are visible.

How large is it? How much flow are you needing to your sump? If the tank is small and only needs 500 gph or less, a 3 drain system (Bean Animal) is a little over kill.

Personally, I would want a 2 part overflow, like the ghost, but with a smooth weir and ditch the removable weir.

Why remove the magnetic weir you ask? It's two fold.

First, I wouldn't want a toothed weir, they hamper performance, and raise the running water level, so you need a higher capacity sump in the event of a power outage, so it doesn't over flow. The power outage issue is compounded when you realize the water level doesn't stop at the bottom of the teeth, because their weir is removable and it will drop another 1/4" below that to were the actual gap between the weir and the box is.

Second, with a smooth weir it takes all of 10 seconds with a magic eraser to run your hand down it and make it clean when you clean your glass several times a week.

powdermonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my c2c, be an animal, with a smooth weir. My tank is rimless as well 72L40w24h. The biggest mistake I made was having the overflow to high. My water level is only 1" from the top when the pumps are running. Big mistake!

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something like this, but obviously not out of clear acrylic!

Overflow.jpg

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread, I'm also in the final plans stages of my new build and have pretty much made up my mind to go with a 'Ghost' style overflow with the 'Bean Animal' drain. I hadn't thought about a smooth or toothless overflow before but definitely like it now for above mentioned reasons.

Cheers, Todd

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, and by using a slit, I think you offset or completely negate the possibility of fish jumping in it. I did some calculations based off of a spreadsheet I got from Turbo R Floyd and even with a 3/4" slit on a 40" weir, you could put 4073 GPH through it and still only be 2/3 of the way up the slit.

Av8Bluewater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love those ghost overflows. Maybe for my next tank.
If you do the bean make sure you have no horizontal pipes... or at least only a very short horizontal. The more vertical the quieter.

Av8Bluewater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love those ghost overflows. Maybe for my next tank.&nbsp;<br>If you do the bean make sure you have no horizontal pipes... or at least only a very short horizontal. The more vertical the quieter.&nbsp;
I have smooth coast to coast but I think I would like teeth. You get a small venturi effect.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my DIY ghosted over-flow (peninsula style/Bean)... I can give you design and layout if you want it?
220229d1424398622-fish-tank-room-imageuploadedbytapatalk1424398622.298150.jpg
220230d1424398776-fish-tank-room-imageuploadedbytapatalk1424398776.240712.jpg

Last edited:

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overflow also has internal baffles on the skimming side to cut down on noise if any.

Av8Bluewater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought a ghost over flow is like the reef savy overflows. That looks like a skinny internal overflow.
I guess there's built in and box ghost overflows.

Last edited:

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought a ghost over flow is like the reef savy overflows. That looks like a skinny internal overflow.
I guess there's built in and box ghost overflows.

This is what ReefSavvy is selling as a "ghost" overflow...
[video=youtube;sjL9U6sXI7w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjL9U6sXI7w[/video]

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From their site, hard to tell but you can just see the the outline of the internal skimming box.

It sounds like the term "ghost" comes into play as the glass and unit are either painted black or black acrylic hiding (ghosting) the over-flow into the background.

ReefSavvy.JPG

Overflows + | Reef Savvy

Last edited:

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have to make one again (have had some inquires) I would also go smooth or toothless for above mentioned reasons.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back