new sump build

willfire67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! First time builder of a 30 gal. three chambered sump here. The dimensions are 36"Lx12"Dx20"H which will be divided into thirds evenly. I have read a ton and seen even more pictures on homemade sumps. Still, after all that, I still have not figured out these things.

1) In what order should the chambers be? I have thought of this: Chamber 1=entry from DT to sock with the skimmer in it. Then 3 baffles over/under/over. Chamber 2= Refugium with live rock, live sand and algae. The 3 baffles over/under/over. Chamber 3=return pump and heater. Does this sound correct?

2) Baffles. What is the correct (or average) glass thickness? What should be the distance from the bottom for the unders and distance apart they should be for bubble traps? I believe the overs are determined by the skimmer level, which min is 7-7.9"

3) Inflow and outflow piping. Can I use rigid pvc? both sides will have valves. outflow to tank will have a check valve . Is 1" inflow to sump and 3/4" outflow to DT sufficient? How far into the sump water should the inflow to sump pipe sit? 1" below water line?

4) What type and wattage can the refugium lights be?

Thanks!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts and experience with sumps:

Chamber order: I am not aware of "writen in stone" order of the chambers. However, some will agrue that the refugium should be first to allow the biology in the refugium first shot at the nutrients. I would have no problem with the sock and skimmer first, especially if you're running a sock.

Bubble traps: There is no need for two different bubble traps. If you have any, you only need one set. The dimensions for baffles is one inch......one inch apart and the "raised" baffle is one inch off the bottom. Again, not writen in stone, but the dimensions most commonly mentioned.

Dimensions of chambers: I would not necessarily make each section 1/3 or the overall sump. I would decide the skimmer section to just fit the skimmer (making sure you can remove the skimmer as well.) If the height of the skimmer is relatively low, I would still make the height of the baffle walls higher and raise the skimmer using a simple stand (as example, made with egg crate.)

Glass Thickness: I am not familiar with the width of a 30, but either way, I would not use the typical window pane glass available at the big box stores.....it's too thin. At a minimum (if I were using glass) would be 3/16 inches.

Plumbing: Yes, you can use rigid PVC. You mentioned valves on both the drain and return line. I would not valve the drain side. I definitely would use unions to make sure I can take apart or remove components...such as the pump. With my sock, the incoming pipe goes below the water level into the sock and it is simply friction fitted into the last fitting so that it can be easily removed to change the sock.

As far as a check valve.....NEVER. They are just waiting to fail as they get crudded up with precipitates. Simply make sure the back flow from turning off your pump will fit into the sump without overflowing. If need be, install multiple siphon breaks to minimize back-flow.

Refugium Light Wattage: I'll leave this for others because I use an LED fixture, while I believe most use a CFL bulb.....in the area of 15 - 26 watts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

willfire67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble traps: There is no need for two different bubble traps. If you have any, you only need one set. The dimensions for baffles is one inch......one inch apart and the "raised" baffle is one inch off the bottom. Again, not writen in stone, but the dimensions most commonly mentioned.

Thank you so much for the info redfishbluefish! on the bubble trap, where should it be? before or after the skimmer?

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it's after your skimmer, it doesn't matter.

Now I don't mean to dissuade you from installing a bubble trap, considering I am not aware of your entire setup, but with a lot of the skimmers today, they put out virtually no bubbles. My first sump had two, three baffle bubble traps. My second sump had one, three baffle bubble trap. My third sump I built had one, two baffle bubble trap. My last, and current sump, has no bubble traps. Here's a picture....note I have two drain lines coming into the sump in both back corners. The return (and biopellet reactor) is in the center section; refugium on the right; sock and skimmer on the left.

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baffles aren't glass. They are 3/8 acrylic that was scrape at a local sign shop.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back