had an idea and need some opinions

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here it is, I have a 40 breeder display tank. Couple of months back I bought a reef radiance 165 P plus. In order to get a good lighting on the tank I had to hang it pretty high. This caused shadows in the corners of the tank and on sides. So I decided to order a second which should almost entirely cover the top of the tank. There's your background
I got to thinking about how this should eliminate the shadows, and how it is a lot of light for my tank. That led me to thinking about tilting the lights a little bit on the outer edges to get more lighting into the rock work. So I started thinking about shortening the outer chains on both lights. not much but a little bit so that the light shine at a tiny angle and would get into the rock work more. that made me think of sunset and sunrise. So then I thought with the awesome timer capabilities on these lights, I could set the left one to come on slightly brighter than the right in the morning both at the same intensity in the afternoon and the right one slightly brighter at night. sort of an attempt at imitating the Sun passing overhead.

what do you guys think about this?

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem at all with tilting them. I know some people that are anal about just lighting the rock and nothing else the main reason is it helps with the algae that grows on your glass.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think dropping them down a little bit and tilting the outer edges down a bit will result in less light on the glass. What do you think?

Attachments

• 20150301_162930.jpg
    20150301_162930.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 127
  • 20150301_162954.jpg
    20150301_162954.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 125
  • 20150301_162948.jpg
    20150301_162948.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 123

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran mine in a canopy and they were 6" off the water. I had a lot of shadows that way but had to have my canopy.

REEF RADIANCE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here it is, I have a 40 breeder display tank. Couple of months back I bought a reef radiance 165 P plus. In order to get a good lighting on the tank I had to hang it pretty high. This caused shadows in the corners of the tank and on sides. So I decided to order a second which should almost entirely cover the top of the tank. There's your background
I got to thinking about how this should eliminate the shadows, and how it is a lot of light for my tank. That led me to thinking about tilting the lights a little bit on the outer edges to get more lighting into the rock work. So I started thinking about shortening the outer chains on both lights. not much but a little bit so that the light shine at a tiny angle and would get into the rock work more. that made me think of sunset and sunrise. So then I thought with the awesome timer capabilities on these lights, I could set the left one to come on slightly brighter than the right in the morning both at the same intensity in the afternoon and the right one slightly brighter at night. sort of an attempt at imitating the Sun passing overhead.

what do you guys think about this?

Hi Wiz,

It is not uncommon for customers to have one light come on slightly sooner than the other to simulate the sun moving overhead. This is generally done in a larger ( longer ) system as the effect is more pronounced - but there is no reason to not do it on your tank.

As to tiling the lights - since each tank's layout is different and each hobbyists idea or what is cool or not cool is different - I suggest moving them in any way you want. I have a 40 breeder and have used one light and two and different heights and find that I like certain things and don't like others. So if you change the angle of the lights and you like it more - well - isn't that all that matters?

There is not logical reason to not do so - as long as you do not compromise the strength of the hanging kit wires.

Hopefully this will help in your decision.

Rick

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back