Please HELP with drain volume/noise in sump 93 cube

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow reefers,

I plumbed my first tank and I'm having trouble trying to quiet the drain in the sump. The water comes in and goes crazy in the first chamber which is where my skimmer will be located which is another reason I need something better. The drain pump is 1" going to the sump. I used the stock dursa pipe marineland provided. I think it goes from 2" to 1". I feel like the drain is to much for the chamber. I had a mag 9.5 more than half way down to see if that helped and it really didn't. Is it the sump? I was thinking of maybe switching to the Trigger System Ruby 20 cube. The sump I have installed now is a 24x15x15 (24 gallons). A video of my issue is below. Any help would be greatly appreciated. As you can see in the video, I'm trying to get the system running clear of sand debree so I can aquascape the tank. This is very aggravating to me. Everytime I put a sock over the drain it starts overflowing in the sock like it can't support the water volume. The sump is supposed to handle 400 to 600 GPH so it shouldn't be a problem. I'm stuck and could really use some expert advise on how to solve this issue. Thanks~!
SUMP DRAIN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiIocQOAqWw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiIocQOAqWw
OVERFLOW DRAIN

Last edited:

Martyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I can see, it looks like there is one drain line and one return line in your overflow. With that set up, your options are limited. Have you tried regulating the airflow on the durso? Maybe try that along with reducing the flow a bit. Air mixing with water in the standpipe is what causes the noise. You can't use a Herbie or similar set up unless you can add a third bulkhead to the sump (or use the return line for the emergency standpipe). If you did that, you could bring the return line up the back of the tank and over top or drill return holes/add bulk heads to the back of the tank. Whatever you do, be very careful as any overflow set up with a single standpipe is prone to flooding. Here's a link that may help you.

Herbie Overflow Plumbing Guide for Quiet Reef Aquariums - gmacreef

Good luck!

Marty

GreatWhiteTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reverse durso system at the bottom of the drain 100%silent, make sure you upscale to 1.5 inch pipe and some polyfil in the cap prevents bubbles from coming out of the air hole

we are gonna need a bigger boat!

Back