Reef Octopus 2000 INT

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

My cabinet has 24 1/4" clearance and I am looking at the Reef Octopus 2000 INT to support my 120 DT w/ 30 gallon sump.

The Skimmer is rated at 22" clearance with 1/2" needed to remove the cup so I should be good.

Has anyone used this skimmer on a similar size tank? Thoughts/Comments/Concerns?

Thanks!
-AA

OP
OP
AmatuerAuer

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it Paintguru.

I was less concerned with the Skimmers ability and more with the clearance needed to take off the cup. 1/2" is listed for virtually all Reef Octopus skimmers, I wasn't sure if that was true or if it was more like 1" (which would still be acceptable).

Basically I am trying to save myself from ordering a $400 Skimmer only to return it because I am short 1" haha.

What water depth do you have your set to?

THanks!

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 1/2" is about right, but it would be tight. There is a rubber seal on the bottom of the collection cup that slides out as you lift up the cup. I got my unit used, so there were some mods to the outflow of the skimmer. I actually had to prop mine up to get mine close to the recommended water depth, which I think is ~8-9". Overall it really it set it and forget it if you have a constant water depth for it. I pull a smelly cup of skimmate out every 3-4 days or so. Mine isn't set super dry, so it is closer to a green tea color vs. a raw sewage color. Smells the same though :).

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would need more than just 1/2" . You want at least 2" extra in order to be able to remove the cup cover.
If you only need to remove the skimmer cup once in a year then it would be okay but if you have to remove the cup more often then it is better to look at something shorter so that you wont regrete or kill yourself later on. Just my opinion

OP
OP
AmatuerAuer

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 1/4" so I'm guessing I'm good.

IF I need an additional 1/2" I could always replace my 3/4" support floor with 1/4" ply.

That would give me almost 3" of clearance..

OP
OP
AmatuerAuer

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ifarmer - Do you have a SRO 2000 INT?

Can someone confirm the clearance needed?

indyjaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be concerned with water depth and if you need to raise it up. They need to be run in 6 to 6.5" per the manufacture.

OP
OP
AmatuerAuer

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indy- I'm not sure I understand your concern. The skimmer will be placed inside a 30g breeder which is 12" deep. I can install 7-9" baffle, have the skimmed set on the bottom of the tank and still be ok.

Maybe I did not understand your point.

indyjaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You answered it pretty well. Some of the prebuilt sumps have say a 10" skimmer depth which would hurt your chances to get the skimmer running at the proper depth. You would need to raise it up taking up valuable space.

OP
OP
AmatuerAuer

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok good deal. I won't be setting the baffles until all the hardware is set up.

May have to make adjustable baffle so I can dial in the skimmer.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back