confused. T5 or LED

Chefbill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to go out on a limb and say this has been asked before, but I'm confused and undecided on lighting choice. The tank is a standard 48" 90gal with a corner overflow. This will be mixed reef, stoney, very few softy tank.

Ideally I'd like an option > $400. $300 is better.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it comes down to this (over simplified) T5=plug and play once bulb choice is decided but bulb replacement. T5 proven long term success. T5 are very good.

LED = need to be fine tuned, percentages on multiple channels, but no upkeep cost. Done right, LED are amazing. Done poorly, bleaching or dead coral.

The tank will be here 3/4 and I'll be 100% dry rock cycling, so I have some time to get lighting worked out, but sooner is better.

Thanks

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
t5 due to the fact that overall for the price 300-400 gets you the best for your coral growth and color. i used t5s on my 90 mixed reef and it works great!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go LED if cost is an issue. There are some great cheaper units out there. I'm going LED soon. I'm planning on 2 OceanRevive units for my 120.
However t5 is tried and true and the colour is spot on every time. If funds allow, I'd go t5. We all know they work long term and give amazing colour and growth!

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start out with T5 with the intent of adding a led strip later. T5 are tried and true. How often do you hear certain corals respond unfavorably to LEDs or they go through a color shift. You don't hear that with T5. I ran LED only on my tank for a year and a half on my mixed reef and struggled to find the right settings where everyone was happy. Since switching to T5 about a year ago I no longer have that problem. I do still use a reefbrite LED strip for that color pop.
So I guess I vote both:)

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After nearly 33 years (in a couple of weeks) into the Reefkeeping side of this Hobby I have used everything out there with the exception of Plasma and once I switched to LED's could not imagine going back to T5 or MH ever again. I have just as much growth (pushing a 1000 inches monthly) and certainly equal to better color than any previous lighting I've used. Though not a simple plug-n-play LED's trump in every aspect of Reeftank lighting and ALL THE NEEDED INFO is easily gathered over the ol' interweb quite easily for any fixture in most any scenario rather SPS dominant or a Softy Tank. Look for fixtures with wider optics like 120* at least on the colored and peripheral/outside rows ie: Reef Radiance DM-165e, m or p series. Start off with White/Color Channel at 20% +- and Blue Channel at 40% +- and bump up a few percent every few days to a week topping out at around 35-45% White/Color and 65-75% Blues for your Tank dimensions which you will need two fixtures. Right now they have (2) DM-165e's shipped for $338.

Though my LED's are of my own design and build they are fairly close to what many of the fixtures have now evolved to including Reef Breeders/Evergrow and Ocean Revive . Check out my Build thread for more info and proof of use. I do run a DM-165e over my Frag Tank and has done very well.

Cheers, Todd

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used halides. Too hot. I used t5s for the last year. The tank did fine. But I played with different bulbs. Expensive. Never satisfied. After seeing so many beautiful led tanks that were completely adjustable. I went for the newer reef radiance dm 165p+. Started with one on my 40b.built in timers are awsome. Controled from my phone And it is so much better as far as color capability. The one light kept my mixed corals happy. I did not like the shadows on sides so I ordered a second. By the time the second light got here 4 days ago I defanitly noticed improved color on my sps and my neon yellow tipped toadstool which had been degrading for months has regained health. Polyps on it thadnt come out for a month or more and are now fully extended. Looks great. The second light eliminated shadows. I would not go back. And no more bulbs. Yay. Each light was $240 which is very good for leds. Still early but so far so awsome!!!

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to go out on a limb and say this has been asked before, but I'm confused and undecided on lighting choice. The tank is a standard 48" 90gal with a corner overflow. This will be mixed reef, stoney, very few softy tank.

Ideally I'd like an option > $400. $300 is better.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it comes down to this (over simplified) T5=plug and play once bulb choice is decided but bulb replacement. T5 proven long term success. T5 are very good.

LED = need to be fine tuned, percentages on multiple channels, but no upkeep cost. Done right, LED are amazing. Done poorly, bleaching or dead coral.

The tank will be here 3/4 and I'll be 100% dry rock cycling, so I have some time to get lighting worked out, but sooner is better.

Thanks

I would agree with your assessment. T5's are easier but cost more to upkeep. LEDs are more efficient but due to the fact that their spectrum is very narrow, you need to tweak things a bit more.

I personally started back up with LEDs after being out of the hobby for 5-7 years because of the energy efficiency and lack of heat. I got good SPS growth and coloration, but I've seen better. I added two T5's to the system to improve coverage and spectrum. We will see how that works out.

GreatWhiteTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U said stony as. In sps? Top line leds and controller, cheaper leds and supplement with a couple t5 s... Or halide/t5.. Cant imagine any of my acros being forced under just t5s

we are gonna need a bigger boat!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%

Back