What skimmer

ncfishguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 cube with 40 breeder sump heavy stocked will be upgrading in the future to a larger tank !! What is a good skimmer to get ?

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at Reef Octopus, Reef Dynamics, and AquaMax. Start from there and depending on your budget you may start to eliminate some. HTH

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really all depends on budget and features (if any) that you're looking for, for the most part they all work to a varying degree of success ... Pinwheel skimmer like Reef Octopus work, some say they work too well and leave no nutrients behind, so sizing that style correctly is a key... Lifereef seems to be very popular but uses a venturi injection system to add air, but gets great reviews (you will have to add a pump if not bought with one)... You get what you pay for and that is so true with skimmers.

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reef dynamics is not all that hot. old tech, not great tech. yes, the grumpy owner will tell you that he is the god of reefing and knows everything, but its a simple needlewheel and even if you spring for the ehiem pump it'll still give you issues. just my two cents.

Id go reef octopus, get a DC pump, and be merry.

Im running an ATI skimmer right now, I love the gridwheel and venturi designs, but my original pump failed and they replaced it with one that was not even a direct replacement, so not totally thrilled there.

OP
OP
ncfishguy

ncfishguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reef dynamics is not all that hot. old tech, not great tech. yes, the grumpy owner will tell you that he is the god of reefing and knows everything, but its a simple needlewheel and even if you spring for the ehiem pump it'll still give you issues. just my two cents.

Id go reef octopus, get a DC pump, and be merry.

Im running an ATI skimmer right now, I love the gridwheel and venturi designs, but my original pump failed and they replaced it with one that was not even a direct replacement, so not totally thrilled there.

Thanks [emoji2] I like my octopus I run now thinking bout upgrading the pump to dc

n8zirkle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a ReefDynmic skimmer on my 250g and it blows me away how efficient it is. Might be a bit pricey, but i believe they are better sized for the aquarium they say the can handle. I do agree you get what you pay for.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back