MP40 or Gyre 150? I need advice from owners!

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is a 60"x18"wide x 24" tall. Center overflow. Rock work is two islands on either side and a small island in the middle. Flow has always been an issue.

I am looking to upgrade. How do you reefers like the Gyre 150? I also could go with the new mp40qd and my old mp10 together. I have always had issues with detritus collecting on the tank bottom. and flow is an issue with the skinny old tank. Opinions and advice needed. Thank You.

sucker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is a 60"x18"wide x 24" tall. Center overflow. Rock work is two islands on either side and a small island in the middle. Flow has always been an issue.

I am looking to upgrade. How do you reefers like the Gyre 150? I also could go with the new mp40qd and my old mp10 together. I have always had issues with detritus collecting on the tank bottom. and flow is an issue with the skinny old tank. Opinions and advice needed. Thank You.
Gyre 150 will give you a lot of flow but lack of control
mp40 - you will need at least 2. Expensive and not powerful as gyre but you can control wireless and lot of options to play around. I personally like mp40
So it's up to your wallet. If you have extra cash then go with mp40

acolotto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GYRE all the way...the flow on these things is insane, i have one on my 48 x 18 x 24 and cant run it higher then 20% and my sps poylp extension has increased byu double compared to what i had with the vortech, no dietrus settling, and picks up scraps of food of sand bed but does not blow sand bed around

acolotto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also to the lack of control point this is not true. You have constant, pulse, and foward and reverse mode. Plus the extra rotors it comes with that even give the option to have the gyre have one cage run a different direction then the other (Ex. the left rotor could be pushing water forward while the left one is running in reverse) or you can just keep them as replacement parts. These gyres create a wider and more sporatic flow in the water as it goes across surface and bounces off glass and pulled back to the other side, think of all the path of water flow getting disrupted by the rockwork, glass, etc. and the even distributed water wall being pushed across provides a wider flow compared to the vortech directional flow.

PapaDragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was struggling with the same thing two weeks ago. I finally decided to go with the mp40qd's. For me it came down to being able to control them from my apex and I'm still not sure about the operating life of the gyre. I bought the mp40qd's last week and I love them. They are pricey, but the control is exactly what I wanted. I also liked how I could link more mp40qd's in the future to my existing mp40qd's. I plan on getting a 300DD tank in another year and it will be simple to add additional ones.

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vortechs have much more control (aesthetics too imo) but with a longer tank like a 5 footer I would use a Gyre. They are much more efficient when utilized with longer tanks imo. I would say it's circumstantial also. If you have Radions, MP40, MP10 and reeflink already I would stay with the Vortechs easy. If not, I would use the Gyre.

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both Definitely MP 40, gyre is junk. MP 40 moves WAY more water. These people saying length has anything to do with it must not have SPS. Yeah it creates a circular current around the tank but its at a snails pace. Its not even fair to call it flow its so weak

Last edited:

GreatWhiteTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both Definitely MP 40, gyre is junk. MP 40 moves WAY more water. These people saying length has anything to do with it must not have SPS. Yeah it creates a circular current around the tank but its at a snails pace. Its not even fair to call it flow its so weak
+1... Tried a gyre and really wanted it to be what others said it to be.... Sold it after a week saved up got my mp40s.. No comparison.. Imo

OP
OP
Skynyrd Fish

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanx for all the input. I'm still on the fence. My old mp10 was great. The idea of the gyre is nice. My center overflow is what kills the flow in my tank it is 5.5"x5.5" square. It creates dead spots in the corners. I would like a wider tank, but it's not in the cards until the wife's kitchen gets done. I know the mp40 will be durable and last a long time.

Louie661

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 60" long I don't think mp 40's would do a good job, you would need the mp 60's I run mp 40's in a 4' x3' x 24" tall and had a ton of dead spots I just recently added a gyre 150 and was impressed with the amount of water it pushed. I now run my mp40s at 50% from 90% and my gyre at 50%. I would definitely recommend the gyre in conjunction with your mp40s you will be happy.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two MP40s on each end of a 180g six footer and two 6055s on the back wall. I really did not like the look of MP40s on side panels of a tank. When they are on a back wall like on two other tanks that I have, then I'm fine with how they look and perform. Having said that, I purchased a xf-150 when they first came out and mounted it on a side panel horizontally just a few inches from the top. Looked great and moves a wave of water over the top surface but I also noticed shortly after that the other end of the tank was kind of not stagnant but also no considerable water movement. After about 6 weeks, I noticed that on that end of the tank, all my SPS were starting to lose tissue so when I hear that the Gyre is a great pump for long tanks, I tend to not agree with regards to usage in my own six footer. I do understand the whole gyre water movement concept but it just wasn't working for my setup. It's a great water surface ripple maker due to the unique squirrel cage design and you can mount it pretty high up unlike Vortechs but not enough to keep my SPS happy. I still utilize the xf-150 but eventually put both MP40s back on the opposite end at a lower speed.
Maybe if I used two xf-150s one on each end, it might do well but at that point I would rather buy two of the newer QD MP40s because as others have said it is a much better quality built pump material wise then the Gyres.

ghostman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would vote for the gyre. Just like other pumps, more than 1 may be needed depending on tank size, and rock work. The gyre should be Apex controlled in the near future (according to CoralVue), and has a lot of possibilities.

jeremy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would vote for the gyre. Just like other pumps, more than 1 may be needed depending on tank size, and rock work. The gyre should be Apex controlled in the near future (according to CoralVue), and has a lot of possibilities.

Votec already is apex ready and in my opinion can't be beat. I haven't bought a quiet drive yet but I am sure they are just as great as the regular model. I like the apex control. I switch through 4 different modes through the day and night. Ability to control these is top notch. A friend of mine has a gyre on his sps tank and added some wp25s to eliminate dead spots. They do push alot of water but wouldn't work for my setup.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Votec already is apex ready and in my opinion can't be beat. I haven't bought a quiet drive yet but I am sure they are just as great as the regular model. I like the apex control. I switch through 4 different modes through the day and night. Ability to control these is top notch. A friend of mine has a gyre on his sps tank and added some wp25s to eliminate dead spots. They do push alot of water but wouldn't work for my setup.

Yes the vortechs can be controlled via the apex, but not sure I would call them apex ready since you need the correct module to do so with the apex.

jeremy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. I guess I should have said apex controlable. But if gyre gets apex control able you will probably have to do the same and buy a module or cable to link them. Like I said in my setup the vortec works better. In other tanks maybe a gyre would work better.

OP
OP
Skynyrd Fish

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks reefers! I'm ordering tomorrow and am leaning to the time tested vortech. I'll let you know what ends up in the bin when I place the order.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's obvious you did not know how to operate the Gyre correctly. To say the flow is weak, is totally ridiculous! There are way to many videos that prove their power, so your statement is a bit of an exaggeration to say the least.
Yes, I'm running the Gyre. [emoji2]

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's obvious you did not know how to operate the Gyre correctly. To say the flow is weak, is totally ridiculous! There are way to many videos that prove their power, so your statement is a bit of an exaggeration to say the least.

I agree. That is bonkers to say the vortech flows more. To each their own, both solid choices and it's not like I don't think both pumps have their role, but pure flow wise there isn't any contest the gyre flows so much more.

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yea it's pretty difficult plug it in and turn the power on.....I don't know where I could of went wrong

Back