Water storage containers

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking into setting up a 50 gallon plus water container. Right now I just set a timer and fill up my 5 gallon jugs. Today I started one left the house and caused a small flood. Now the wife is very upset with the fish again. So I'm looking at setting something up that is a little more fail proof.

First quest is what type of containers are used to store rodi water? Where is a good place to buy these that ships or is local? Can I set this up in the garage that is insulated on outside walls? If yes what is the best way to plumb line to the rodi system? My thinking is just have a long 1/4" line ran up the wall in the Attic to the filters by the container. Then the drain line I would drill a hole to place it in my garden on the other side of the wall. I only make about 50 gallons of water a month as I don't do water changes. So shouldn't flood the garden to much. Is there a way to setup a double fail safe on the water filling up the container?

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add a shutoff switch and it'll stop the water and avoid a flood regardless where the container is.

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's it going my friend, besides the upset wife? Point out it could be worse, it could have been fish water, instead of clean water. Check out autotopoff.com for affordable and reliable top off supplies. Have had mine for years without issue, 8 or 9 years. As for containers check out farm supply companies, I have Farm and Fleet out here, lots of options in size and shape. Depending on how cold your garage gets your plan is good. The garden will LOVE the waste water.

OP
OP
Eckolancer

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using ATO integrated with my apex for a few years now as well. I have had a few float switches die. But need to figure out how to wire in some float switches to shut water off on main water line.

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using ATO integrated with my apex for a few years now as well. I have had a few float switches die. But need to figure out how to wire in some float switches to shut water off on main water line.
Solenoid valve that shuts the feed line off that is tripped by the float switch in your storage container.

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I took a bunch of shots of my water storage system but now my phone is freaking out and I have no way to get the shots so let's see if I can explain it well enough.
First the feed line to my ro goes through a solenoid valve. Production water fills a 65 gallon vat. That has a float switch that controls the solenoid valve. Like most ato units when the float switch is activated by low water level it turns on whatever is plugged into it. In this case a solenoid valve that's on position is open. So when the water level in this vat lowers it turn on/opens the solenoid valve, which is the ro feed line. Onces that vat is full it shuts off the solenoid valve.

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 44 57.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back