SWC 160 cone skimmer Impeller

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The time has come for me to replace my mesh wheel on my SWC 160 cone skimmer. My pump stalls anytime the power is cut. I simply blow into the airline and the skimmer starts. I ordered a pinwheel for the Atman PH2500 that I found on ebay. It makes a horrible buzzing sound when the airline is open on the skimmer. With the old mesh wheel it is dead silent. I'm just trying to fix the stalling problem. I have read a few posts where people installed a washer. I tried some random plastic washer i had laying around and same problem. If anyone knows where to get a new pinwheel that WORKS for this skimmer or has another fix please help. Thanks in advance.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an SWC 160 with the Atman 2500 and here’s the secret for a stalling pump. Put a couple telfon washers (available at HD) on the shaft on the front side of the pump, it works just fine. I think I have three on my current Atman. I’m guessing that the impeller stuff hits the front plate and the friction causes the pump to stall. It’s worked for me just fine.

Just so you know, the Atman 2500 is the same as the Via Aqua 2600 pumps at less than $40. Atmans are typically in the $75 range.

OP
OP
Scubabum

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an SWC 160 with the Atman 2500 and here’s the secret for a stalling pump. Put a couple telfon washers (available at HD) on the shaft on the front side of the pump, it works just fine. I think I have three on my current Atman. I’m guessing that the impeller stuff hits the front plate and the friction causes the pump to stall. It’s worked for me just fine.
Just so you know, the Atman 2500 is the same as the Via Aqua 2600 pumps at less than $40. Atmans are typically in the $75 range.

Thanks for that info. Do you happen to have a picture of the washers you used. I tried a couple of washers, from some props I had for RC airplane and they did not work. Need to know how thick they are and how wide. Thanks again for helping.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without pulling apart the pump and measuring, it just fits on the shaft of the impeller.....I'm going to guess the #8 washer on the following page. Measure the shaft diameter and get the washer that fits.

And I appologize, I said teflon, and in fact they are nylon washers......in the drawers in the hardware department.

Search Results for*nylon washers*at The Home Depot

OP
OP
Scubabum

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back