About to buy used reef octopus. thoughts on price

gmod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can get a reef octopus sro xp2000 int w/bubble blaster pump for 250.00. Its a local sale so no shipping...i dont know how old it is but was wondering if this a good deal...putting it in a 120g 4x2x2 with about 30g sump..thanks for ur opinions.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I guess it all comes down to how bad you want it and what sounds like a good deal to you.

Me, I would look at what they cost new. Then I would look at what the pump costs to replace it in a worst case situation.
Also ( most likely) I would look at the cost of a new impeller for the pump.
I would also research the seller. See how other transactions have gone.

OP
OP
G

gmod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is very reputable person.. has his own store in house...they go for over 400 new

Abyssions

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its a good deal, but whats the condition of the skimmer? How long was it used for? Pump if needed replaced cost and impeller cost? The skimmer will be good just incase you want to upgrade in the future also.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get pictures of the skimmer? That would help a lot

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my local community the BB pump is put up on a pedestal as being a really good pump. That being said, at least get some pictures of the unit before making a decision. A price too good to be true, usually is, but this is all assumption. Some deals are just good!

Then, keep your eyes out for steals & deals. This one is out of stock, but for an extra $100 (less than half of a new pump alone) you could get a brand new skimmer. Maybe email them and see if they'd hold a rain check for you. Worth a shot, to me...

Super Reef Octopus XP-2000 Cone Skimmer - IN SUMP | Premium Aquatics

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say its a good deal there. Thats half the price of a new one, if you were abele to buy one that is. Thats a great skimmer.

vuqchu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it all comes down to how bad you want it and what sounds like a good deal to you.

Me, I would look at what they cost new. Then I would look at what the pump costs to replace it in a worst case situation.
Also ( most likely) I would look at the cost of a new impeller for the pump.
I would also research the seller. See how other transactions have gone.

Solid advice!

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the exact same model for the exact same price a year ago. It is a steal at $250. In fact, I have the exact same tank as you. Best thing I ever bought for it.

ncfishguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same one got it used ! It was a year old when I got it two year ago the pump has a three year warranty mine done and stop skimming needs a new pump already and getting them to respond to email and phone is like pulling teeth best to get new

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef equipment loses its value fast!! I wouldn't expect 50% of what I've boughten if I was going out of th hobby. Just my 2 cents

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say average equipment about 1/3 original price is fair, high quality 1/2 or so.

Piranhapat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes you can fine a good deal. But when coming to this hobby. I bought one thing used. In the long run a lost money on saving a $100. Never again peace of mind knowing how old something really is. Either you paid now or pay double later. Just my opinion.

OP
OP
G

gmod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can get a seaside aquatics CS180S for 180 a little easier on the budget.. its less than a year old...is this a better deal...its basically a curve7 with the sicce pump

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never buy anything new in this hobby if I didn't have to, beyond the actual tank. Most of the equipment we run is not degrading that much over time. Sure pumps and things stop working, but in general those are small expenses. A skimmer is just a pump and acrylic housing. The acrylic isn't going to fail, and if I can save the cost of a new pump by buying used, I am basically playing with house money (as mfinn basically stated). However, that doesn't mean I would buy the highest quality equipment possible. Saving $70 isn't worth it if it is just going to cause you problems in the long run. My SRO on my 120 has helped keep my water quality pristine.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back