lighting question on a 180

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on using 3 of the "black box leds" and then I have the supplies to put up to 8 4' t-5's (retro fit) ballest and reflectors

or should I get 3' ft bulbs and put 2in the frt and 2 in the back? or 3 or 4?

I'm thinking 2 in the frt and 2 in the back but I want to make this the last lighting/aquarium upgrade I do

Or I have a 4 bulb t-5/ current usa light with 2 250 watt mh that I would love to use, but It would take up a lot of the room in the canopy since its so big, but I could still have enough room to put 2 3' t-5 in frt and behind it.

So I'm planning this out

It will be a mixed reef with a few SPS but mostly Lps softies and stuff like that

I have led stunner strips I will use either way to get the nightlight effect

Opinions please

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've got a unit that has 250w Halides, and T5s, theres no need to add anymore lighting to the tank, thats plenty.

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up my 180 and it is sps dominant. I am running 4 5' t5's(320 watt total) and led in the middle. The t5's I am running for blue suppliment.

Right now, i only have a 4' led(photon 48), but I am going to purchase another fixture on top of the 48 to have fully covered with led. The t5's I'm running blues only.. But it's a lot of light..

OP
OP
riche

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ballast I can only run up to 4ft bulbs if I go retro

So I have to stick with either 43t or 4ft bulbs.

If I use the 4ft t-5/mh fixture I can put 3' or 4' in frt and back same with the black boxes

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually picked up the coralvue(icecap) 660 today. It replaced the two less expensive ballasts the previous owner used. The one ballast is running all 4 bulbs great. Not too mention, it's running cooler and with no emi.. Expensive, but very cool and easy to install ballast..

I saw online that previously, a lot of people used this ballast to upgrade on their fixtures.. So you may want to check into that, if you want to run larger bulbs for full coverage..

Last edited:
OP
OP
riche

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after looking at I after I got it home, there 3ft bulbs and the ballast are the fulham workhorse.

I have enough end caps and mounts to run 6 3ft t-5's in the canopy

Im just worried that wont be enough?

OP
OP
riche

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've got a unit that has 250w Halides, and T5s, theres no need to add anymore lighting to the tank, thats plenty.
if I put the light inside the canopy (the 4 bulb/mh) 4' and it sits on the frame of the tank, is that going to be OK. I'm going to add some t-5's and LEDs to cover the rest of the tank so there is no dark spots.

So I guess the question is the area where the mh is, I should keep sps and high demanding corals in that area?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back