Reef Synergy Ghost Overflow sizing

NoStRaThOmAs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting ready to build a 120gal tank 48X24X24 with a 40 gal breeder sump. Thich size overflow do I need 16" or the 24". I believe the 16" is rated for 1500 GPH and the 24" at 4,000 GPH. Do I need the 24" or can I get by with the 16"?

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 16" would be fine, but the 24" would offer more surface skimming :)

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the two different sizes are mentioned on the Reef Savvy site, but I think maybe if you are not buying them as part of a Reef Savvy tank, you will need to get them from Synergy Reef. From what I read, they designed the overflow together, so they are available from both. On the Synergy site, I also only see the 16". Maybe if you decide you need the 24", you can call and see if it is available as stock, or maybe custom.

Overflow | Product Categories |

OP
OP
NoStRaThOmAs

NoStRaThOmAs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Fin. I'm probably looking at 135 working gallons which puts me at 1350 go hat ten times the tank turnover. Just wondering if that's sufficient for a mixed reef?

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They only make the 16" now. The max flow should be fine. For best skimming performance on a 4' tank, you might want to consider 2 of them. I know that is $400, but they will perform better having 2 of them. Remember, 1500 GPH is the max. You would be running right at the limit for that overflow.

OP
OP
NoStRaThOmAs

NoStRaThOmAs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They only make the 16" now. The max flow should be fine. For best skimming performance on a 4' tank, you might want to consider 2 of them. I know that is $400, but they will perform better having 2 of them. Remember, 1500 GPH is the max. You would be running right at the limit for that overflow.

Thanks. Does anyone know why they discontinued the 24"?. The 16" has 3-1" holes. I wanted the 24" with 3-1/2" holes[emoji30]

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically, they never made them. Reef Savvy contracted them to make both models. I can't speak as to why they aren't making the 24". All I know is that they stated that for the near future they aren't and may never. They were only $50 more than the 16", but probably required more work and materials. In other words, the 16" probably makes more money! Either way, their suggestion was to run two of them if you need more flow. You have 3 options. Buy 1 and run it and maybe have to turn down the flow. Buy two and run as much flow as you want. Contract an acrylic company to build one to your spec. Although I imagine that buying 2 off the shelf 16" would be cheaper. I can tell you I've built several overflows lately that are similar to the Savvy one, except I used 1.5" and the internal boxes were over 40". They sounds expensive, but considering the amount of materials, bulkheads, and time it takes to make one, I don't know how they can sell them for $200 and make any money.

OP
OP
NoStRaThOmAs

NoStRaThOmAs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically, they never made them. Reef Savvy contracted them to make both models. I can't speak as to why they aren't making the 24". All I know is that they stated that for the near future they aren't and may never. They were only $50 more than the 16", but probably required more work and materials. In other words, the 16" probably makes more money! Either way, their suggestion was to run two of them if you need more flow. You have 3 options. Buy 1 and run it and maybe have to turn down the flow. Buy two and run as much flow as you want. Contract an acrylic company to build one to your spec. Although I imagine that buying 2 off the shelf 16" would be cheaper. I can tell you I've built several overflows lately that are similar to the Savvy one, except I used 1.5" and the internal boxes were over 40". They sounds expensive, but considering the amount of materials, bulkheads, and time it takes to make one, I don't know how they can sell them for $200 and make any money.

Ok thanks for the info theJuggernaut. It sounds to me like if you order a Reef Savvy tank you could probably get one. I don't mind having the 2- overflows but having 6-1" lines running into my sump?

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for the info theJuggernaut. It sounds to me like if you order a Reef Savvy tank you could probably get one. I don't mind having the 2- overflows but having 6-1" lines running into my sump?

Yea, it's definitely not ideal. I have never tried it. I don't know how hard it would be to tune. One larger system would probably be a better solution in the long run. I've had several tanks, and there has always been some compromise somewhere along the line, and it always comes back to bite you. A little more planning and money up front usually give much better results.

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is incorrect information. Technically the original "Ghost" overflow was co-designed by Synergy Reef and Reef Savvy. Synergy Reef manufactured the overflow for Reef Savvy and Reef Savvy was retailing it. We have since started selling the original "Ghost" overflow as the Synergy Reef Overflow directly from us. Reef Savvy wanted to go in a different direction with the overflow and has recently released a modified version of our original Ghost overflow. The ghost overflow is a trademarked name held by both Reef Savvy and Synergy Reef. Synergy Reef and Reef Savvy had equal amounts of input in the design.

To answer your questions about why we do not make the 24" currently is simple, logistics. It is a large piece of equipment and requires a large box to ship. Most people do not want to pay what shipping costs to ship this size overflow after paying for the actual overflow. So we tried to do free shipping at first and it just was not feasible. while we at Synergy Reef may re-release a 24" model, we currently do not have them available. And yes, these overflows are not cheap to make. Shipping was killing the deal, period. Hopefully we can work out the kinks and get them going again!

Hopefully this will clear up some of the confusion.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back