RO/DI waste water line placement

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently use a BRS 4 stage RO/DI unit and I want to purchase 50' of the black tubing to run the waste water across the basement into a sump (I currently run it into a Brute can sitting next to it, which I then have to pump out MANY times a day using a garden hose and pool pump). To do that I need to run the tubing up approximately 5' after it leaves the RO/DI unit, across the ceiling about 40', then back down into the sump. Will this cause any issues with the RO/DI unit? Is the waste water leaving the unit strong enough to be pushed up 5' or will it just continuously siphon backwards?

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will have some effect on our waste ratio both due to the change in elevation from the mebraneto the ceiling and to the length of the waste line and friction loss.
I would measure your exact waste ratio as it is today then install the modified waste line and measure it again to see the effect it has.
Depending on your tap water TDS and if you are using softened water or not, if it drops the waste to less than 3:1 to 4:1 then you will want to purchase an untrimmed capillary tube style flow restrictor. Install the new lengthened waste line and at the same time remove the existing flow restrictor and install the capillary tube in its place. Measure the waste ratio with the new $6 restrictor then trim the capillary tube length according to the included directions with a fresh razor blade if needed.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will have some effect on our waste ratio both due to the change in elevation from the mebraneto the ceiling and to the length of the waste line and friction loss.
I would measure your exact waste ratio as it is today then install the modified waste line and measure it again to see the effect it has.
Depending on your tap water TDS and if you are using softened water or not, if it drops the waste to less than 3:1 to 4:1 then you will want to purchase an untrimmed capillary tube style flow restrictor. Install the new lengthened waste line and at the same time remove the existing flow restrictor and install the capillary tube in its place. Measure the waste ratio with the new $6 restrictor then trim the capillary tube length according to the included directions with a fresh razor blade if needed.

Ok, thanks for the response. I think I am just going to run the waste line temporarily across the floor whenever I make water. Currently my whole process is terrible so I was just trying to improve it and make it more automated (and less dependent on me remembering that my water is running). I finally did purchase two floats at least :smile:

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

Would it be any different if the ro/di unit had a booster pump on it? ( asking for a friend that has the same situation.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any time you change the length or height of the waste line you affect the waste ratio. It is always wise to check the waste ratio regardless of who built the unit or if it has been modified or not or if it is boosted or not. The booster pump will definitely change the ratio and a new restrictor is almost always necessary.

Back