ATI Sunpower or ReefBreeders Photon

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know this is a touchey subject with a lot of people. The story of T5 or LED. As advances in LED lighting for reef systems becomes better the argument that they are not strong enough to support certain corals is not as strong as it was before. I know some people claim they get no SPS growth with LEDs and then an explosion of growth once switched over to T5s. Then some say all their corals grow well under LEDs.

The tank is going to be a 40G Breeder mixed reef, probably more LPS and softies than SPS mostly likely 1 BTA and at least 1 Clam, but I do plan to have a good arrangement. The tank is 36"Lx18"Dx16"T.

My 3 possible light selections are as follows:
ATI Sunpower 24" 6x24W
ATI Sunpower 36" 4x39W
ReefBreeders Photon 24"

If I go with ATI I will most likely use the bulb combos recommended on their site unless someone recommends otherwise:
4 - 2 Blue Plus 2 Coral Plus
6 - 3 Blue Plus 2 Coral Plus 1 Purple Plus

My initial feeling is to go with the Photon because its cheaper, will run cooler, less energy consumption, and no bulbs to replace and is known to be a pretty good fixture all around. I would probably have to place some corals higher than others but that would be alright. But then there is all the hype around how awesome the ATI T5 fixtures are at growing coral. If I went the T5 route I think I would go with the 24" 6 bulb fixture but again I am willing to listen to all suggestions. Also if there are any other fixtures that would work well on a 40G Breeder with the price staying under 400$ im all ears, let me hear about em.

rip

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sunpower 4x36" would be my choice bulbs 1blue plus 1coral+14k 1 actinic 1 blue +

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went led. I'm happy with my results. I think if you spend the time to adjust your light correctly you can get good results.

I love the low energy and the low heat. Plus I would wanna shoot myself if I was buying bulbs every how long? Would seem like a week 2 me

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have an ATI 8X39 Sunpower, and feel like my choice was right for me. I've done just about every lighting method this hobby has offered in the last eleven years.. ten of which was with a 40Br. (Including a DIY kit from RapidLED.) I got great growth from the LEDs, but I still feel like T5's are ahead of the game for now. There are many arguments on both sides, an insane amount as this is still a touchy subject, but I'm happy with my current choice.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back