Changing Out Lighting

eagleone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be swapping out light soon and I'm stuck between choices- so I'm asking you guys for help. What would you do for 150w MH + 2x24w T5. I'll be keeping sps and chalices. Thanks in advance!

1) Radium 20k + 2x Ati Blue Plus

2) Phoenix 14k + 2x UVL super actinic

3) Or your suggestions.

I'll be changing out my t5 reflectors too. So far I know of Icecaps and Tek2- is one better than the other?

Jay

Last edited:

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really need to visit some established tanks with various lighting as its a personal choice. Here in Phoenix some of the better shops put a sticker on their display tanks with the bulbs info on them so you can see them side by side. I also visted my friends and club members tanks before I decied on my bulb choice. I am using Reeflux 12k now myself but am disappointed in the slow growth rate compared to my old XM10k MH VHO actinics combination. Coralvue has a new 20k bulb that is getting rave reviews due to its exceptionally high PAR value and color so I may try it next.

OP
OP
eagleone

eagleone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like the reeflux 12k. I had it, I thought would love it, but I just don't- no offense. I have an old phoenix bulb that I'm using now. I find myself really liking the bluer color.

My thoughts were this...
If I choose the Radiums, the Blue+ would help with growth since have lots of PAR. Plus since Radiums are slightly whiter than Phoenix, the t5s would make it look a little more bluer.

If I go with Phoenix, I'd have better growth and the actinics would help with the color. The phoenix bulb is bluer than the radiums...so I've heard. It's kind of like compensating with each downside.

That's why I'm kind of stuck.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back