acrylic tank building 101.....

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is a step by procedure for building a seamless custom acrylic tank.....
i will try to explain it the best i can...this was built for the owner of my companies son....sometimes it pays to be slow at work lol..... the tank will be used for freshwater so there is no overflows etc.....so here we go let the pics begin.....
first step is the layout and mark your material where you would like to bend it....i choose half inch because this is a 100gal hex front.....after you have your layout set it up on a table and i perfer 1"medite or mdf some call it to keep the material flat while it is heated clamp the material in place leaving a 1" gap between for the material to heat and bend....i use a infared heater used to bake paint for my bending, each bend is heated for 2 hours very slowly to prevent problems such as crazing while you glue it....it is the best way to get a nice clean bend without alot of stress on the material if you heat it fast it will severly weaken the material...each bend was at a 45deg....

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
step 2 gluing the back to the front panel i use razor blades for shims as seen in the photos.....wick the solvent in there and let it set for 45 secs or so and pull the shims out....
8.jpg

10.jpg

9.jpg

11.jpg

step3
making a eurobrace...i choose a 3" eurobrace with a 3" center brace....let me remind you here money was no object here lol.....i wish i could say the same for myself i actually did fork out 600$ for weldon 42 gun and glue to do this project but it's mine to keep [smilie=angel4.gif]....take a square piece of material and lay it under the tank then you trace around the outside of the tank and rough cut it like a 1/8" oversized....then take a straight edge make a inside cut line at 3-1/8".....then take a jig saw and cut it out or a router with a straight edge clamped in place....i chose to use a jig saw becasue of all the radius'es"spelling" anyway's on a euro brace every corner must be round to allow the pressure of the tank to be more evenly spread out...
12.jpg

in this photo i used a roundover bit to give the inside of the euro brace a nice rounded edge...
13.jpg

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
step4
once you have your euro brace cut out it's time to glue it on the top of the tank.....use the same method i showed above with the sims etc...
14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

once that is completed you repeat the steps for the euro brace for the bottom but don't cut the inside out lol....now let the glue cure for a day or so and you are ready to flush cut everything with a router....
16.jpg

here is some pics of the bends and glue joint's all clear no bubbles and mess free as can be....let me remind you i had all the time in the world..
17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and the final step flush cutting it with a router....LET IT SNOW!!!!!!!!
22.jpg

21.jpg

and the after math a good 20ft circle of mess.......
23.jpg

and here it is completed ready for polishing and a leak test.....
20.jpg

and im out peace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thomasdo87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow those are some sick skill you have. how much was the cost of the overall build in materials? minus the $600 in glue.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The materials for that tank will run ya around 450$......I can't really count the glue if ya did like 25$ for it...the 600$ was for a full case and applicator gun, obviuosly I only needed a half a tube not 24 lol

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
routers are the best to cut acrylic... bits include triple flute flush cuts and spiral upcuts...
i got a ton of stuff to post just need a little time but it's coming guys...:)

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank I built a seamless corner tank......I love working with acrylic...Please share some more....

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ya....I got a couple more documented builds to post also...lol
I've only been in the hobby a little over 2 yrs but been building things for years....
I'm a quick learner...;)

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off very nice write ups. Been reading most of them today. Secondly, Gave me a good idea of building a killer Frag tank...hmmmmmm

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where would i go to order sheets of acrylic? this thread makes me want to try a frag tank and if all goes well a sump. So the only things needed to do this would be

-Acrylic (obviously)
-router
-Glue
-Some good vices
-Some weights?

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much...I would try the yellow pages always look local first, shipping is a killer...
Look under plastic manufacturing or distrubuters...if none are found try a sign shop they will either sell some or know where to get it....
When building any tank or sump you wanna use a good quality cast material
#1 polycast
#2 acrylite "GP"
#plexiglass "g"
Other materials are known to fail when turned into pressure vessels so stick with those 3 if at all possible...
If you need to order online try us. Plastics, grainger, tap plastics etc...

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back